Chapter 25: Time to Fight

The next day, Hazel and Kate and Nick were in a rehearsal room, working on Hazel's upcoming performance.

Hazel had taken one thing to heart from her conversation with Zoey, and she was seated at the piano, working on a stripped-down version of "Honeycomb". She was having trouble finding the right approach. Her fingers felt awkward on the keys since it had been so long since she'd played. And after her conversation with Zoey, the topic hit too close to the bone.

"That was better," Nick said. "Maybe do the third verse acapella?"

"That's a good idea."

Hazel started the run before the third chorus. She hit a wrong note and slammed the lid of the piano shut. "Damn it!"

"It's not that bad."

"I suck."

Kate cocked her head to the side. Her hair was in an intricate braid with a piece of silk wound through it, a trend that had taken off on TikTok. "You don't. It's just a harder song than it looks."

"Here," Nick said. "Let me show you."

He sat down next to her on the bench, his left leg touching her right one. Hazel felt that same warmth as she had at the bar when he'd stepped between her legs and leaned in close. She breathed in his scent, too, that fresh laundry smell that was oddly calming.

Nick cleared his throat. "It's A minor, then C, then D." He played the chords, his fingers intertwining through hers. "It would be easier if you moved your hands."

"Oh, sorry." Hazel dropped her hands into her lap.

"It's fine," Nick said, and Hazel realized that he had a twinkle in his eye. He repeated the chord progression, adding a pretty flourish at the end. "And then you go into the verse. You try."

Hazel concentrated on the keys, trying to repeat Nick's graceful movements.

"That was better," Nick said, patting her leg under the piano.

Was it just her, or had his hand lingered on her thigh a bit longer than it needed to?

Hazel shifted, and Nick's hand was gone. "Thank you."

"No problem. Just do it another ten times and you should get it." Nick stood and looked at his phone.

"Maybe we should pick something else?" Hazel said, losing confidence once he stepped away. "Something for guitar where I won't make so many mistakes."

"No, this is the right song for you. It will complement the song we wrote and showcase another side of you." He tucked his phone away. "I've got to go. Kate, you got this?"

"Of course."

He squeezed Hazel's shoulder gently, then left. Hazel felt herself blushing but felt awkward in front of Kate. She lowered her head and tried the chord progression again. It was better, but still not perfect.

"What's wrong?" Kate asked.

"I'm having trouble connecting to it."

"Why?"

"Because I know what it's about. How am I supposed to sing that with Martin watching? Does he know it's about him?"

"Are you kidding? That would require him to be self-aware."

"I feel bad for Sarah."

Kate rubbed her hands together. Her nails were a perfectly manufactured high pink gloss. "I know, me too."

"My roommate, Zoey, it doesn't concern her. She's like, Sarah's getting something out of it, so is he, what's the big deal?"

"That's not the first time I've heard that."