Chapter 2

I slowly opened my eyes, feeling a blade touch my throat, and gazed calmly at the woman standing in front of me, hot fury burning in her golden eyes, a growl seeming to erupt from her chest, her dark hair spilling out from under the hood of her dress, fresh blood staining her lips and chin. "Are you going to kill me? Please do. Make sure you make a big mess, too. I want my blood to go everywhere.." Her eyes widened, as I pressed my throat more firmly against her blade, feeling it nick me, warm blood dripping down my skin, and closed my eyes, excited to feel the sharp sting of steel slicing through my flesh like butter, but it never happened. In fact, the blade was moved away, and I sighed, opening my eyes to see her staring at me silently. "Well, that was boring. I was ready to choke to death on my own blood." An expression like disgust crossed her face, and she growled, "Who are you?! What are you doing in my room?? And what is wrong with you?"

I blinked, her last question catching me off guard, and I frowned, before replying, "I don't know what you're talking about. There isn't anything wrong with me. Also, your weapon collection is really nice.. Can I have some of them to take to my cave?" At that, she backed away from me, something like concern in her eyes. "No! Don't you humans usually run away from our castle? Aren't you afraid?? Monsters live here, you know." I shook my head, and stood up. "The others ran away, but not me. They almost caught me- I like making them chase me. They're so easy to kill when they're scared." I slowly smiled, holding up my knife, and shivered. "I'm not afraid of anything. You don't scare me, and neither do monsters. Oh- In case you're wondering, I climbed up the wall outside, and used my knife to open the window. The front doors were locked.." Her jaw dropped, and she went dead silent for a minute.

When she'd seemed to recover, her eyes turned icy and angry again. "You are truly foolish, then. You may not have fallen to your death, human, but you will not survive Castle Dimitrescu. Intruders are not welcome here, and Mother put me in charge of torturing the few mortals who enter these walls without permission." With that, a menacing grin spread across her face, and she grabbed me by the throat, giggling. "This will be fun.." I didn't even blink, as we seemed to speed out of the room and down long hallways at an unnatural speed, my body slamming against a damp and cold floor as I was thrown down stone steps, landing in what looked like a dungeon or torture chamber of some kind, the musty water I landed in seeping through my already torn clothing. The woman slowly stepped down into the darkness, smirking at me. "Welcome to your new home. You will make such beautiful sounds of pain soon. I will make your brave mask disappear very quickly."

Before I could say a word, she grabbed me by the hair, faint pain lancing through my scalp, and dragged me across the stone floor, the skin on my elbows and back rubbed raw and bleeding from the sharp edges, but I didn't make a sound, enjoying myself a lot. "Where are we going?" As a response, she slammed me up against a wall, and bound my wrists to the ceiling, and my ankles to the floor with chains, keeping me from moving at all. As my muscles burned from the strain on them, I watched the woman unroll an assortment of tools, all sharpened to perfection, some with serrated blades, and tilted my head, curious to see just what she had planned, so distracted that I barely noticed when her hand flicked forward with inhuman speed, burying a blade deep in my left thigh, twisting it to make it sink further into my muscle, hot blood flooding down my leg. I glanced down at it, licking my lips as I watched my dark red blood drip onto the floor. "Is that all you've got? I can do much better than that.. Come on, be creative, or else I'll get bored. Try that hand saw on me.. Please?"

She didn't respond, but I heard her huff in frustration, and I smirked, enjoying antagonizing her. She hesitated, glancing at the saw I mentioned, then shook her head, before grabbing more knives, embedding them all in my flesh, burning me with a hot poker, and even peeling skin from my back, but seemed to get exhausted after awhile, stopping to take a breath. That was the moment when I decided to reveal that I'd slowly been picking the locks on the chains expertly with a rusty nail I'd found on the floor earlier, and wrapped my arm around her throat, my knife against her skin, and I rubbed my nose against her neck, inhaling her scent deeply. "You smell like wilted roses.. I let you play for awhile, and now, I want a turn. I bet I can make you make nice sounds while I slice into that pretty porcelain skin of yours.. It isn't fair if you get to have all of the fun, is it?"

Her body went rigid, her breaths sharp and fast, and she whispered, "How? You didn't scream once.. How are you still conscious? You've lost a lot of blood, but you're wide awake." I frowned, and moved away from her, ripping every blade out of my body, tossing them on her table full of weapons, then stretched, enjoying the dull ache in my bones and nerves. "I'll be fine. I guess we're done playing.. Too bad. I was starting to enjoy this alone time with you. I haven't seen a pretty thing like you since the first time I murdered someone. The other women were never as beautiful.." I saw something like fear flicker in her eyes, and I slammed my hand down on the table, shaking with anger. "Stop it! Everyone acts like you do! There isn't anything to be afraid of.. All I want to do is play with you! It won't even hurt that much! And when I'm done, I'll arrange your body all nice and neat, and we can be alone together forever in my cave." I stepped towards her, even more angry as she cowered in fear, when I'd thought she was like me. I was clearly wrong to think that.

Like all the others, she ran, or wanted me to die. I didn't fear death, and in fact, would love death, as long as it was a perfectly messy way to go, but when it came to the disgust and shame in their eyes, I wanted nothing more than to sink my blade into them over and over. I just wanted to see that look go away. There was nothing wrong with me. Why couldn't they get that? And why couldn't those assholes in the village just leave me alone? I didn't kill more of them than necessary, and I always made the bodies look creative and beautiful when I was done. But they still called me a monster, and hunted me like a wild animal.. Being chased was fun and exciting, but sometimes, it exhausted me, especially when they wrecked my home, and took the bodies away, leaving me alone in the cold and darkness. Oh, well..

Before I could drive my blade into her heart, something strong and solid smacked into me, sending me flying, and I crashed against the far wall, a few of my ribs breaking, the world going blurry, and white. No- No, I couldn't die like that! It had to be perfect, and memorable, or else no one would remember that I existed. I tried to climb to my feet, annoyed as my body refused to move the way I wanted, and I could hear voices talking angrily, one louder than the other, and a bit deeper, sounding like an older woman, wondering if she was that girl's mother, as I heard the stern way she talked to the familiar voice of the girl. "Cassandra! What is going on down here?! That child very nearly injured you.. Usually, you are much more efficient when it comes to your toys. If I had not decided to visit you, that creature would surely have impaled you. I think I perhaps have broken it beyond repair, but it seems to be a stubborn little thing, and is still breathing." That was the last thing I heard, before ringing started in my ears, and everything went dark and silent..