Chapter 3

When I opened my eyes again, I was in some room, tucked under the covers of a bed, and sighed in annoyance, as I found my wrists somehow chained to the wall, keeping me from going anywhere. I could feel bandages covering half of my body, and groaned, the fabric itchy and uncomfortable. What the hell did I need bandages for? My blood was so pretty to look at, and I didn't feel any pain, just a dull throbbing that didn't bother me. I yanked on the chains, the metal clanging loudly against the wall behind it, and I kept tugging, even as blood dripped from my wrists. "Hey! Let me out of these things! Are you too scared to have me run around free?! Cowards!"

The stench of cigarette smoke assaulted my nose, and I grimaced in disgust, turning my head, as I heard a low chuckle nearby, and saw a tall figure seated in a chair near a fireplace. I couldn't see their face, their back to me, but I could see gloved hands holding a smoking cigarette, a wide brimmed hat covering dark hair, and a white dress, and the skin I could see was pale, almost as pale as the snow that covered the ground outside. "Cowards, you say? You are quite the feisty pest, aren't you? Hmm.. You are quite intriguing, considering no ordinary human has ever managed to turn the tables on Cassandra during her games. What manner of creature are you?" I blinked, and rolled my eyes. "You and that woman- Why does everyone think I'm not normal? I'm just a person."

The person slowly rose from the chair, and my eyes widened as I realized it was a woman, and a really tall one at that. She had to be at least nine feet tall, and as she turned to face me, I saw fine features, ruby lips, and golden eyes that shone with both anger and amusement. "Really? How fascinating. Mother Miranda would surely take pleasure in studying you." Miranda? The witch. The one who ruled over the village and the Lords around it with a firm hand. "A lab experiment? I guess that would be a pretty cool way to die.. I don't mind. Go ahead and have her come carve me open. I can't wait." Her eyes widened in surprise, and her predatory smile changed into a frown. "What on Earth? You.. Would enjoy death?" I shrugged, and noticed her eyes wander over my body. "You are still moving, and without the slightest hint of discomfort. That should not be possible for a human."

I sighed, even more annoyed, realizing why her voice sounded so familiar. "It was you! You spoiled my game.. It was my turn to make her make beautiful sounds, and you smashed me flat into the wall. It's rude to interrupt other people's conversations and things. You almost gave me a boring death, and that, I won't allow. It has to be a beautiful death-" I stopped talking at the way she looked at me, the spark of rage igniting in me again. "Stop it! I'm not some freak! I just like playing games, and making bodies look pretty.. I even keep families together when I kill them, so they can be happy together forever. I never take more than the village can spare, and I make sure that the organs never go to waste, either. I either cook and eat them myself, and drink the blood, or I leave them out for the creatures that live in the woods with me. I don't see what's wrong with that.." My breath caught in my throat, as I saw claws grow from her fingertips, the light reflecting off of the metal, and, for the first time in a long time, I felt.. Fear. There was a memory in my head, but I couldn't see what it was clearly, only knowing that whatever it was I couldn't remember was triggered by that woman's claws.

I struggled, trying to see what it was, bothered by the fact that something could actually scare me, but right before I could see, it was gone, and the fear instantly disappeared. I didn't flinch, as the woman's gloved hand wrapped around my throat tightly, those claws pressed against my skin, and shivered, enjoying the feeling of the sharp steel digging into my flesh. "You are not only a strange human, but a murderer? And you attempted to take my daughter's life?! Are you a fool, or do you truly wish for death??" Before I could answer, blood poured into my left eye, my vision blurring badly, as one of her claws flicked forward, slashing me from my eyebrow to my cheek. "Maybe both, but like I said, at least make sure my death is beautiful, and my blood goes everywhere. Maybe you could hack me to bits with those claws. I'm pretty sure that would work." She let go of me, her claws disappearing, the look of fury on her face disappearing, a thoughtful one replacing it. "Perhaps you could be of some use.. The castle is in desperate need of someone to eliminate those filthy beasts that continue to wander onto my property. I wonder if a human such as you is up to the task.."

That got my attention, and I glared at her. "I won't be some servant who does your dirty work!" I ate my words, as minutes later, I was tossed into a room in what I was told was, "the maid's quarters", and froze, as I was surrounded by a bunch of women, ranging in age from teenagers to elderly, and all of them were glaring at me. "You! Why are you in here?!" Over half of them, I recognized from the village, and I'd even killed some of their families, so it wasn't surprising that they knew who I was. I'd been born in that village, after all. Or had I? Ironically, I couldn't really remember much of my childhood, or anything before moving into the cave in the woods. "Lady Dimitrescu must be out of her mind!" That voice- I knew that voice. My head slowly turned, and my eyes met the icy blue gaze of a girl I somehow recognized, but didn't know why. Her name was.. Eileen. "I have known that monster for many years, and she is more cruel and twisted than all the creatures inside this place!"

I rolled my eyes, and ignored all of them, unbothered, and glanced at the list of chores I'd been given, annoyed, but knew if I didn't do them, I'd probably die a boring death, and I couldn't stand that. I quietly did them, the hours passing by slowly, and I had no idea what time it was when I started heading back towards the maid's quarters, but it was silent in the castle, except for the faint sound of screams from that torture room below, and the hallways were pitch black with darkness. I kept running into things, barely able to see shapes in the darkness, feeling like an idiot for not grabbing a candle or something, and then, suddenly, a hand clamped tightly over my mouth, and a bunch of other hands held me down, as dim candlelight showed the faces of the other maids, Eileen in the lead, as they began attacking me however they could. The sound of their fists and feet hitting my flesh echoed through the halls, and I sighed, choosing to ignore them, figuring they'd get tired after awhile, but then, Eileen chuckled cruelly, and whispered, "You're a filthy monster- No wonder your parents tried to drown you in the river." I felt something click inside of my brain, and for the first time in a very long time, hot tears stung my eyes,

What was happening? Was I.. Crying? Why? And what was that pain in my chest, as if my heart was being torn out? I hadn't ever felt anything like it before, and I wanted it to stop. If that was what pain felt like, I was glad I never felt it, or felt.. Anything besides anger and loneliness. Something snapped in me at her words, and I snatched my knife from its hiding place, and saw red, the candlelight going out, loud screams and the sound of running feet spilling through the night, hot sticky blood coating my skin, as I sliced through them like butter, one by one, except for the few who managed to get away. After awhile, it fell silent, and I swallowed the blood and flesh I had carved up, leaving Eileen's alone, figuring she had to taste as horrible as she had been as a person, and then, the sound of faint footsteps echoed towards me, and candlelight showed the woman I now knew was named Cassandra, staring at me in shock, her eyes flickering across the pile of bodies on the floor, and the blood and gore spattering the walls around them, then to the tears still sliding down my face..