CH 1 | Sayoko Ishimori

Sayoko POV:

Hello. I'm Sayoko Ishimori. I'm currently studying in a very prestigious high school in Kyoto. I'm turning 17 years old this year. I enjoy studying and playing the piano. It's going to soon be my tenth year of learning the piano. My parents are both doctors, except my mother is a nurse. When I graduate I want to study astronomy, which I haven't told them about yet. Every time I try, they always remind me to study hard and become a doctor.
I wish to live my life, the way I wish.

•°•

Today is the first day of school after spring break. I studied most of the time and didn't go out much during the break.

"Good morning mother!"

I said as I entered the dining room.

"Good morning Sayoko," she continued "Up late last night I see?" She said looking at the bags under my eyes.

"Ah yes! I was uh.. Reading a book on medicine."

I lied.

As soon as I mentioned the word medicine I smile appeared on my mothers face.

"Then it's alright," she continued "make sure not to stay up too late and sleep enough."

I nodded before she could say anything else.

I knew she would lecture me on becoming a doctor.

I finished eating breakfast.

"Goodbye, mother!"

I said, as I was leaving the door.

•°•

First period was math. In order to study astronomy, I had to be good at math so I put my all into it.

Second period was language arts. I don't mind doing that either.

In the afternoon we did PE. I don't mind doing PE, but I don't love it.

•°•

After school I met with my bestfriend, Arisa. We've been friends since elementary school and tell each other everything.

We went to our usual cafe to chat.

"So.."

Arisa started..

"Choose which college to go to yet?"

I sighed.

"Your mother tell you to become a doctor again?"

She asked.

I nodded.

She sighed.

"Well.. At least you have parents who care about your future."

I shrugged as I let out a loud sigh.

"I guess, but I'm not capable of being a doctor."

"I know what you mean." She laughed.

"Uchh.. At least you understand me, Arisa."

"Are you still studying Music?"

I asked.

"That's the plan."

We finished our coffees and walked to the station together.

"See you tomorrow!"

"Jinx!"

We both said together, which made us laugh.

•°•

"I'm home!"

"Oh, Welcome back!"

My mother said, as I entered the door.

"Dinner is on the table, please wash your hands."

My mother is a nurse, but only part-time. She needs to make sure we eat right and get to bed on time during the week, so she usually takes the weekend shifts.

We ate together. Well almost. My father was still working. He was a neurologist after all and worked most of the week. In fact I barely see him.

•°•

I lie awake that night thinking. Thinking about my life and future. I only fell a sleep at around 4am.

"Up late again?"

My mother asked with a concerned look on her face.

"Mhmm"

I nodded.

Again before she could say something I grabbed a bun and made my way to the door. Put on my shoes and left.
I was going to miss the train if I didn't hurry.

Ding dong ding dong, the school bell rang as I entered the classroom. Just on time.

•°•

I went to the library after school these last few days. Exams are coming up and I need to study. I am pretty much always at the top of my class, but that doesn't come from doing nothing.

I didn't hang out with Arisa today. She had a date with her boyfriend and didn't have time for me.

I went home at around 5pm today after studying.

I stopped by the grocery store and got some necessities.

•°•

Once again I ate with my mother and sister. My father was still working.

This was another reason I didn't want to become a doctor. You always worked. I guess it also depends on your field of work, but it seems like even normal doctors work a lot.

•°•

I stayed up the whole night reading. I only slept about an hour. For some reason, I can't sleep these past few days.

•°•

Today is the day of my math exam. I did well, but I could've done better, I thought to myself as I handed my test paper in.

"Hey!"

Arisa whispered.

"How'd you do?"

"Meh, alright."

I answered.

"You?"

"Great! I might actually make the top of the class!"

She said giggling.

"Congrats!"

I said smiling, but deep down feeling upset. But I was happy for her.

"I'll see you after school"

She said, getting to class.

I simply nodded.

•°•

We went to a planetarium nearby my house last Saturday. It was fun. You could see all sorts of planets and galaxies. I went there mainly to study, but also to look around.

•°•

Again every night for this past month I couldn't sleep.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Hi guys. What did you think of yhis chapter. Also I'm not Japanese, but wanted to make a story based in Japan. I hope this story will be good. I kinda just write as I go, so there might be some grammar mistakes.

Please vote if you liked it ❤️

See you in the next chapter :)

(In the next chapter you'll learn about our ML)