chapter three

Rashir had not shut up about Lourdes

Mateo had gotten paired up with her for a project in his women's studies class and she'd came to the house about a week earlier. Mateo had been yelled at by Rashir about 'gatekeeping' her, but Mateo didn't even know that she was the girl Rashir had been obsessing over. They'd worked on the project a couple of times and she was a pretty cool girl.

Mateo didn't know if he considered her a friend yet, but she was definitely an acquaintance. Mateo and Lourdes worked on their project with no problems and whenever they finished, Rashir and Lourdes would hang out together.

This had been going on for weeks now, and Rashir could not stop talking about the girl. He insisted he didn't like her, but everyone knew he was lying. He talked about her so much that Nico and Mateo had learned to tune him out, but unfortunately, they'd tuned him out for too long.

"Whatchu mean other people gon' be there?" Mateo confusedly asked Rashir as paused the show he was watching on Netflix in his bed. It was a Saturday night and Mateo was about to start getting ready to go to Top Golf with Nico and Rashir, but he wanted to finish this episode. He was under the impression it was just going to be them, so he was confused by Rashir telling him other people would be there.

"Fuck is you looking confused fa'? I told yo' ass about this last night," Rashir responded while sucking his teeth and standing in his doorway, "Her and her friends gon' meet us there–why you actin' like you'on know what I'm talkin' 'bout?" Rashir squinted his eyes at him.

"Cause I don't," Mateo shrugged. Rashir had been talking his head off about Lourdes for the past couple of days so Mateo usually tuned him out when her name was brought up, hence why he had no idea what Rashir was talking about at the moment. He vaguely remembered her and TopGolf being mentioned in the same sentence, but he didn't remember the full details.

"You literally said okay when I asked you about it like 3 days ago! This yo' fault for not listening to me dumbass,"

"Well you talk too damn much! Shit," Mateo fussed at him, "And get out my room!"

"Fine!" Rashir huffed, closing the door behind him and walking down the stairs.

Mateo didn't really have a problem with Lourdes, or her friends coming. He simply didn't like meeting new people so he knew he'd probably be quiet for the entirety of the night. He walked into his bathroom where he simply sighed and washed his face so he could finish getting ready. He'd already showered, so he only had to get dressed and get his wallet.

After he dried his face and put on moisturizer he went to his bedroom, where he could pick an outfit. It was pretty chilly out since it was fall, so he threw on some cargos his Yeezy slides with a regular tan button-up, and a white tee. He put on his usual chains and debated if he should wear a hat or not, but decided to put it on since he hadn't gotten a haircut in a couple of weeks.