[Ficlet Prologue]: Comfort

Raphael observed the sleeping master, whose androgynous figure was covered by his own arms. His breathing was quiet and calmed down the intelligence with a core. There was a light thumping in his chest to imitate genuine sleeping. It was nice to know her master was safe, here, unrestricted from any of the blatant despair and hopelessness he faced during that time.

Her non-existence heart clutched and throbbed violently, ugly thoughts swirled as she reprimanded herself for her repeatedly reminded deficiency when she was originally Unique Skill, [Great Sage].

When she wasn't needed for the moment, she would take the time to silently admonish herself and promise what to do better, threatening herself to do better.

To the average person, her actions were deemed unhealthy and detrimental to the mind.

"Uwahh..."

Raphael diverted her thoughts away, staring at her master again. There was drool pooling out of his mouth, which he eventually licked away unconsciously. His once beautiful platinum hair straggling everywhere on his pillow. Wriggling around while groaning slightly, his eyes squinting as he had an uncomfortable expression on his face.

"Please... wait...'m sorry..." Rimuru whimpered and mewled, his breathing became rapid and uneasy, his pleads increasing in volume.

Panicking after seeing such a thing, she forcefully wakes up her master, shutting down [Sleep Mode].

"AAA-ah...?" He sat up, grasping his blanket, dazed and scared. It was almost on instinct, as she spiritually moved her soul next to his, giving warmth that soothed and pacified his previous state. He slumps, hugging his blanket. There was a subtle shiver occasionally as he got warped in the tranquility of the room.

"Raphael..." Rimuru uttered, his eyes glancing at his legs wrapped around his quivering arms. "C-can you come out, for me?"

Raphael didn't need an explanation, she immediately takes the form of a character indistinguishable from Rimuru's own, excluding the eyes of crimson blood, a faint glow of white in a manifestation of a hexagon shape around her pupils. Having nothing but a white cloak to cover her, she robotically advanced to the shaken master, taking a seat next to him.

"Hug," Rimuru murmured, scooching closer to feel Raphael's physical warmth. She obliges by enveloping Rimuru with her slender, bare arms. He returns the hug, pulling her closer. Rubbing against Raphael's skin, he hums in contentment.

Raphael's skin was smooth, and the heat that radiated from her nearly naked frame comforted his very soul. It released the pent-up perturbation he has been holding back for who-knows-how long.

He felt safe in her arms and suddenly became extremely vulnerable with Raphael, nuzzling his head towards Raphael's neck.

"Can we continue this?" Rimuru rasped quietly, almost desperate. Raphael's emotionless eyes widened faintly, surprised by the offer.

"I-I'm sorry, it's so selfish of me," Rimuru muttered his honest opinions. "But, it's just so comfortable here. It's so warm and homely, and you smell really nice." He said tenderly, a weak blush painted on his pale complexion.

Hoping to appease and convince his partner, he takes her hands, placing them on his face.

"Please, partner."

His voice trembled, almost sobbing, filled with so much emotion, pain, and agony. Absolute agony.

The Farmus incident has haunted him to days-no end. Regardless of the fact he managed to revive his friends, it didn't change the trauma, the heaping rage, and helplessness when they revealed Shion's dead, unmoving body.

The overwhelming feelings of self-hatred, and uselessness, it was unbearable.

I was lucky, he thought bitterly. That barrier, if it never existed; I would've been late, I would've lost them. Shion, and several many whom I swore to protect.

It hurt his heart too much. It drove him insane when he thought about it. The possibilities of what could've happened.

What should've happened.

Unaware of the clear liquid that poured out his eyes, sliding down to Raphael's shoulders, coating them with his tears.

It hurts to think about, but I still have thoughts about it, even if I tried not to.

"Yes. If it's master's wish, then I will do it for his sake."

"...and yours?"

"And mine." There appeared a small, unnoticeable lift from her pink lips, twitching barely upwards.

Rimuru shuddered as Raphael mumbled that, however, he was satisfied with the answer, melting into the cuddle.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Short, ficlet prologue to set up for the main story. Made it angsty with a side of hurt-comfort. How was it? You'll expect more of this, so people who want it, continue reading the story.

As said in the tags, it has hurt-comfort, angst, fluff, etc.

And to assure people, yes this is a Rimuru x Ciel fic, and only a Rimuru x Ciel fic. If you want something different, like a harem, I suggest "That Time I Tried A New Medicine", another book of mine.

Unfortunately, I did promise regular updates in my other book, so this will take more time to complete.

By the way, both Raphael and Rimuru have PTSD/trauma, so it'll be a back-to-back sort of thing. Raphael comforts Rimuru, Rimuru comforts Raphael. This is a canon-divergent story but will still lead up even after the evolution of Ciel. So for any anime/manga readers, be warned. Based off LN, not WN by the way.

For now, it is safe for all readers/watchers.