Chapter 5

When I was myself again, I found myself curled up on the floor in a corner, feathers from my mattress and pillows strewn everywhere, my blankets shredded, deep claw marks embedded in the walls, and I sat up slowly, worried as I tasted blood. I touched my mouth gently, my fingers coming away with flakes of dried blood. Why was there blood on my face? I looked at my body, noticing the streaks of crimson all over my skin, and I began panicking as I realized my window was shattered, cold winter air blowing into my room. Where was Dani?? "Dani?! Dani, where are you??" I shot up to my feet, remembering what she'd told me about her and her sisters not able to handle the cold.

I began panicking even more, as I saw a trail of blood leading into my bathroom, bloody handprints all over the wooden frame. I shoved my heavy wardrobe in front of the window, blocking out the cold the best I could, then shoved the bathroom door open, my heart sinking, as I found Daniela curled up in the bath tub, her cloak torn and shredded, her red hair a mess, her face tearstained and paler than usual. But that wasn't what scared me- No, it was the deep, bloody gashes and bite marks all over her skin that made me back away. "I held you all night- It was almost impossible, and you nearly escaped the castle, but I managed. You are quite strong, you know.. I haven't been this torn up since I fought one of Uncle Karl's beasts."

Her golden eyes turned to me, and she weakly smiled, her smile fading fast, as hot tears slid down my face. "Elaine?" I couldn't seem to say a single word, choking on my tears, my entire body shaking, as I slowly backed away from the bathroom, making my way back to the corner I woke up in, and curled up, my breaths coming out fast and shaky. I did that to her.. That man was right. I was a monster, and I needed to be in a cage. Daniela was the one person who was nice to me in my whole life, and I nearly tore her to pieces. Alcina would destroy me if she saw I hurt another one of her daughters, especially the youngest one. But I wouldn't complain; I would actually accept my death quietly, and not even fight back. I deserved to die.. Nothing like me deserved to live.

I shoved her hand away, as she came out of the bathroom, my room apparently warm enough for her to be in it now, and she tried to comfort me. "Stop it! Just stop! Don't touch me! I- I don't want to hurt you again. Please just go away. You're hurt really bad.." I groaned, as she sat down beside me, feeling her cold skin press against mine. "Elaine, look at me. Just look.. I promise it's alright." I sniffled, and slowly looked at her, my eyes widening as I saw her wounds almost completely healed. "I told you, I'm a monster, too. All of us are here, except for the maidens. Until last night, I thought you were human like them.. You can't really hurt me, except with the cold. I'm not angry with you." She frowned, as I looked away from her again, and I shrugged. "That's not the point.. Just have your mother kill me already. I don't belong here.. I can't hide my other side forever."

A low growl rumbled from her chest, and I flinched, as her arms wrapped around me tightly, her grip unbreakable, even for my strength, and she pulled me into her lap, our chests pressed firmly against each other, as she gazed into my eyes. "No one will hurt you. Not Cassandra, not Mother, not anyone. I won't let them.. You belong to me, and if anyone harms a hair on your head, I will slice them open. Do you understand??" I blinked, blushing, not really getting it at all, and shook my head. "No- Why are you protecting me? I could hurt your family." She seemed to realize that I was kind of uncomfortable, as her grip loosened, and she gently gripped my face with one hand, the anger in her voice fading, as she said, "Because you're my only friend. Bela and Cassandra are always busy with other things, and my books kept me from being lonely, but- But you came here, and for the first time, I felt like I could actually have someone to spend time with and talk to you. You aren't like other people, Elaine, and I don't mean that because you turn into a furry creature under the moon."

As her words sank into my head, I felt myself sink into her arms, a weight that I didn't know I was carrying around lifting from my shoulders. I started crying hard, and she just held me, softly stroking my hair, going quiet. "I've never had a friend before- I don't even know what it's like to have a family. Before I came here, I was- I was living inside of a cage. I grew up inside that stupid cage, and it's all I've ever known. People laughed at me every day and night, and I don't even know what my parents looked like, or why they left me there.. That's why I agreed to work here. I wanted to be free from that place, and it was my only option." I felt her body stiffen, and she gently moved me out of her lap. "I see- So that's why you got so angry when Cassandra touched you. You've been hurt so badly for your whole life. I know what it's like to be stared at, and considered different."

She started walking towards my door, and I panicked, figuring I'd made her stop liking me with what I told her. "I'm sorry.." She looked at me, and frowned, her hand on the door knob. "For what? I'm just going to speak with Mother and my sisters, that's all. Just get some rest, okay? You aren't looking well at all. I'll come to check on you soon." With that, she left, closing the door behind her, and I climbed into my ruined bed, curling up under the torn covers, shaking, not able to sleep, thoughts racing through my head. What if she really did hate me now? What if she was pretending? No one could really like me, could they? I mean, she didn't even know me too well yet, and wanted to be friends? I didn't even really know what a friend was, but I would try my best to be a good one. Dani made me feel so safe when she was around, and I didn't know why, but I knew that if she abandoned me, I wouldn't be able to handle being alone again..