Chapter 6

I waited for Dani to come back, as hour after hour passed, but still no sign of her. I was beginning to wonder if she'd lied to try and keep my feelings from being hurt, not really wanting to be near me at all. I wouldn't blame her, of course, considering she was trying to be nice, and what I was, but that didn't stop the hurt from worming its way into my heart. But it was probably better that way- I couldn't hurt anyone if they weren't around me, right? That was a good thing everyone involved. I jumped, as my door suddenly creaked open, and Alcina bent through it, before straightening, her towering frame intimidating, as her golden eyes peered around the room, flickering across the state it was in. "You had quite the interesting evening, it would seem, little one." I felt fear flood my body, knowing that she knew, most likely because of Daniela, and I was probably about to die.

Hot tears stung my eyes, and I lowered my head, staring down at my ruined sheets, and held Shadow and my other cats close, my body shaking violently, but it wasn't like I hadn't expected it to end like that. "I promise not to fight back.. Just make it quick, if you can, okay? Please. I've at least done enough hard work to earn that, right? And even though they're not your problem, please make sure my cats get good homes. That's all I ask.." Shadow mewed at me sadly, rubbing against me, trying to make me feel better, but there was no way he could. I moved him out of my lap, and slowly looked up at Alcina, taking a deep, shaking breath, ready to face those claws of hers. "What on Earth are you talking about? I do not plan on taking your life. Quite the opposite, in fact. Daniela has informed me of your.. Illness." I flinched, as one of her gloved hands gently stroked my face. "What you are is no fault of yours, of that, I am certain. You shall not be punished for it.. I know what it is like, after all."

I closed my eyes, feeling more tears slide down my face, even more confused. "What? I don't understand.." I felt my bed sink under her weight, then nearly drowned in the scent of vanilla, blood, and flowers, as I felt my body pulled into strong arms that wrapped around me gently. "of course not.. And that is no fault of yours, either. You have suffered greatly, bearing this secret on your own, have you not?" I nodded, and she sighed. "I know that we are.. Frightening creatures.. And that we cannot replace your true family, but you are under the protection of House Dimitrescu, regardless, and we shall all do our best to help you. Daniela is quite fond of you, after all, and harming you would hurt her, as well. You shall still have duties, of course, but you are now my daughter's personal maiden, and shall have more freedom than others. Is that acceptable to you?" Her voice changed a bit when she asked that, telling me that it wasn't really a request, but more of an order, and I nodded.

She awkwardly patted my head, and stood up, then left as quickly as she'd walked in, and I was unprepared for the blur of flies that swarmed into my room, before Daniela tackled me with a hug. "I'm so happy that Mother is letting you stay with us! For awhile, I was afraid she would send you away, or-" She made a sad noise, and I blinked, seeing tears in her eyes, and didn't know why, but seeing her cry made my heart break, and I held her close. "Uh- Actually, she made me your personal maid.. I don't really know what that means, but I guess it means I do whatever you want." My heart skipped a beat, as her body pressed against mine even more, and a cute noise came out of her mouth. "You're so very warm, you know. Since you are now my best friend as well as my personal maid, I think I shall have you stay with me in my room. The weather is getting colder every day, and I think having my own personal heater would be perfect, don't you?" Her.. Room? I would be sleeping with her?

I wasn't sure why my face was feeling like it was on fire, or why I felt uncomfortable, but maybe it was because the only people I'd ever seen sleep together were the other people at the freak show, who were forced to share their cages, and.. Mate with each other. Is that what Dani was wanting us to do? I didn't know how to do it, though I'd been forced to watch other people mate, so what if she got angry? I guessed I had to at least try, if that's what she wanted.. After a little while, she'd helped move the few things I had, along with my cats, into her room. It was a nice room, though there were clothes and books scattered everywhere, and the bed looked almost identical to the one in my room, the sheets wrinkled and messy, but it smelled like her, and wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. "The next two nights, you'll have to stay locked up in the cellar, so that no one gets hurt, but after that, you get to sleep in here. Okay?" I nodded, and sighed. Two nights in the place that everyone seemed to hate going into? Why not? "It's already getting dark again- You might want to take me to the cellar now, before the moon comes out. I don't want to hurt you again, Dani."

She nodded, and went a bit quiet, before grabbing my hand, and lead me through the halls, through the main room of the castle, and all the way to hidden stairs, which, when we went down them, led to a dark, damp place, which was filled with sharp objects, and what I was sure were torture devices. "Oh.. now I see why everyone is scared of it." I swallowed hard, the place honestly reminding me of my cage, and shuddered, but knew I had to stay down there, or hurt innocent people. "I wish you didn't need to stay down here, Elaine.. It was the only thing I could think of. But don't worry, okay? Cassandra comes down here quite often, so she promised to check on you when she does. And you'll only have to stay down here whenever the full moon comes, and you can stay with me the rest of the time." She glanced at me worriedly, then carefully chained me to a damp wall inside a small room that smelled like death, before quietly saying, "Whatever you see or hear down here, don't go anywhere, okay? There are.. Nasty things down here. I don't want you getting hurt." With that, she left, and I was all on my own, the sound of dripping water, and unknown things growling in the distance echoing in my ears, making me wish I could already leave that darkness..