[1]

"Nix, have you heard?" A huffing Ezra asked, hastily taking a seat next to me.

"Here comes Marites' boy version," I heard Maki groan, not taking his eyes off his phone.

"Shut up!"

I chuckled while closing the book I was reading to give Ez my attention. "What is it this time?"

"There's a transferee dude! Sobrang ganda!" Ezra sounded like a fanboy.

"Puro ka landi Ez. You really need to settle for one," Tobias countered while playing his Nintendo.

"It's different this time! She's really pretty! I met her and I think she's my crush!" He took his bag off and glared at Tob. "Atsaka para namang hindi ka malandi ha?"

Tobias can only roll his eyes because he's too focused on his game.

"Crush? What are you, 9? Grow up, Ezra." Maki turned his phone off this time. Ezra pouted.

"Unang araw palang, minahal na kita..." Tob sang which made him laugh along with Makari. Kahit ako ay nagpigil ng tawa dahil napaka-pangit ng kanta 'yon. However, I didn't want to hurt Ezra's feelings kaya sumingit na ako.

"Hey, you can have a crush no matter what your age is," I defended. "I'm happy you have a crush Ezra."

"You're the best Nix," he wiped his fake tears.

"Tsh. You're babying him Phoenix. That's why Ezra's such a softie." It was Maki again.

I gave him a pat on the shoulder, "And you're bullying him Makari. Besides, Ezra's like this only when he's with us. He's already matured. Para namang wala kang crush."

"Skolar ng bayan." We heard Tobias' tease which made us three laugh. Sumama tuloy ang mukha ni Makari.

"But Ezra, I just realized. A transferee during the third week in second year. It's okay but it would be hard to adjust." Even if the subjects are the same, the environment and schedule would not be easy to deal with.

"That I don't know why."

"Whatever. Have you seen the news?" Baling sa akin ni Maki.

I opened my book again before asking, "Nope. What's up?"

"How come I'm the only one invested in these things?"

"Because you're the one who's chismoso," Ezra stuck his tongue out to tease him before moving far from Maki para hindi siya nito maabot. Maki exaggeratedly exhaled before talking to me.

"The Mafia Mortem attacked again. Poland this time. Sinunog nila 'yung bahay kasama 'yung buong family. Then it turns out that Filip Jankowski, who is a Polish senator that seems to be the main target, is a murderer and embezzler!"

He showed me his phone screen where a headline in bold letters was displayed. 'MAFIA MORTEM STRIKES AGAIN'. Attached below was a picture showing a symbol M made out of fire and a house completely in ruins. Ito pala ang tinitingnan niya kanina.

"You've been on this ever since their first break out, Maki." I pointed out.

"Well, I find it interesting. They're CIA's top wanted and yet they still couldn't catch them. How come?"

"Are you studying how to become a killer now?" Tobias said sarcastically, his Nintendo nowhere to be seen but replaced with a Science and Society book.

"Shut up, Andrade."

"Napaka-pikon mo, San Diego."

"Geez guys, stop. I thought I'm the immature one?" Ezra meddled.

I shook my head because all of them are immature, as if the three of them weren't older than me.