[2]

cw // conversation on death penalty // a reminder that I am no professional. the following statements you are about to encounter are based on research and personal opinions. if i write anything erroneous, please feel free to correct me:)

"Do you think this is okay na?"

Makari turned his laptop towards me and our type-written draft for research was shown on the screen. I scanned it with my eyes and pointed out minor mistakes.

"I think somethings lacking here and oh! May ideas na ako for possible SOPs. Let me write it down."

We discussed a few things since we were partners for this task. Makari knows that I never cram, probably why he immediately started planning. It's always better to start early para hindi magpile-up lahat ng gawain namin. At least, that's efficient for me.

"Swerte mo naman gago. Sanaol si Phoenix ang partner sa research. Siguradong mataas grades niyo." Nakasimangot na saad ng kadarating lang na Tobias. Beside him is Ezra, who is sipping on his iced coffee. He handed me a cup of iced carmac and I murmured my 'thanks'.

"Wag kang pabuhat ha," pang-aasar ni Ez.

"Hindi ako tulad mo, ulol." Maki glanced at me. "Hindi naman ako ganon Nix, diba?"

I nodded. "Mmm, you're not."

"Ey! Naghanap ka lang ng kakampi. Alam naman natin kung gaano kabait 'yan si Phoenix. Malamang hindi siya aamin na pabigat ka." Tobias countered.

"Shut up!"

Napailing nalang ako dahil nagsisimula na naman sila. I continued writing some notes before shushing them down.

"That's enough guys. What if magstart nalang kayo with your own report? Diba you guys are partners."

Napatingin silang tatlo sa akin at nagulat ako ng lumapit si Ezra para hawakan ang magkabilaan kong pisngi. He squished and pinched both simultaneously like kneading bread dough. The other two only laughed and weren't surprised anymore, Ezra does the craziest things among us four after all.

"Stop it!" I complained and slapped his hands away pero ayaw niyang bumitaw.

"Ayaw! Napaka-cute mo kasi! You're so conyo."

"Hey, guys!" Napalingon kaming apat sa babae'ng bumati.

It was Rischel, a member of the school paper club and one of our block mates. She uninvitedly took a seat by Persephone's chair and turned it around facing us, the owner nowhere to be seen.

"Have you heard about the news? Binabalak ng government na ipatupad ang death penalty. Agree ba 'yung father mo about that, Ezra?"

Ezra's father, Elizar Montejo, is a senator and a big person in the political industry. He has helped thousands of Filipinos and has been fighting against corruption for the past years. I've met him a few times and I can tell that he's a good father. I cannot say he's a great servant of the country though. As much as I see him as a good man, I do not trust politics or anything political very much despite the line of career I'm planning to have.

Ez let my cheeks go and poked his own with a finger. "Rischel, baby, bakit naman sasang-ayon si Tatay sa isang hindi mabuting bagay? The whole family opposes to death penalty."

"Baka lang kasi matuloy, the possibility is worrisome. Your father's influence is big, you know. He might change the views and votes of many if he defies the appeal."

"Well, worry not. Some may agree pero alam kong hindi papayag si Tatay sa ganyan." Ezra's answer was full of conviction.

"Great!" Rischel giddily stood up and placed the chair back on its proper place. She smiled and bade goodbye to us, obviously pleased with Ezra's reply.