01.

CHAPTER ONE

HISTORY LESSONS & MORNING COFFEE

HISTORY LESSONS &
MORNING COFFEE.

"Good morning Mr. Steven!" Penelope Price projected from her doorway across the hall as Steven Grant exited his apartment with a cup of coffee present in each hand.

"Be good, Gus!" The man called back to his goldfish before turning to Penny with a kind smile. "Mornin' Penny. How'd you sleep?"

"I'm sure you could hear Grandpa's snores from across the hall, Steven." She gave him a knowing look. "Mom left a few hours ago for work and I've been up since." Steven snickered.

"How about you?"

The sweet man took a second to respond, worrying Penny. "Pretty good, Gus doesn't snore."

Penny snorted at that, she never knew why he was so hesitant about telling her why he was so tired all the time.

"Ready for work?" She spoke up.

Steven smiled "Always am." Penelope often followed Steven on his daily morning trek from the apartment complex to the museum. He handed her a warm travel mug with a smile.

The teenage girl took the cup with a grateful smirk. "My mom never lets me have coffee."

"You tell me this every morning, yet still except it with open arms." Steven nudged her with a chuckle.

When the pair arrived at the elevator doors, Steven shuffled the items around in his arms before pushing the down button.

"Hey, its my turn to push the button." Penelope groaned. "You did it last time."

"Fine, you can hit the one on the inside." The grown man rolled his eyes, yet looked a bit let down by the defeat.

The girl smiled in triumph. "So what history lesson do you have for me today?"

"Ah, yes."

••

Steven taught Penny the story of Nefertem, the God of the Lotus Blossom and how he was present for the creation of the world.

The girl's eyes were as big as saucers as her friend finished telling his story. "No way! I think he might be my favorite so far!"

"But there isn't much known about him, he isn't as important as the others?"

"I don't care. I like him, he deserves more recognition. Seems badass." The girl chuckled, bumping Steven with her shoulder.