One

Sharp stones molded into the mud beneath the water, ready to take victim anyone who stepped in. I pushed the tip of my branch down into the lake until it was swallowed whole. Junior, to the left of me, continued to poke at the dead animal—a skunk—lying helpless by the lake's edge.

"You'd better stop messing with that thing," I mumbled.

Junior threw the stick to the side and frowned. "But I feel bad for it."

"It's in a better place now, probably," I said, shrugging.

Junior sighed. "I guess you're right. I think I'm ready to go now. Are you ready?"

I checked my watch, then looked back at Junior. "Yeah, come on. I'm pretty sure mom's almost done cooking. Let's start heading back."

I pressed my hand to the small of Junior's back, leading him away from the rotting carcass. A few minutes down the trail and we approached the tree holding our bikes. Junior grabbed his bike as I grabbed mine and we kept walking, eventually leaving the woods, and stepping onto the paved roads. I already missed being under the trees rather than under the source of the heat.

Compared to the scorching sun roasting the streets, the shade from the trees did wonders for our skin. Had it not been for Junior's begging to take him on a hike through the woods, I wouldn't have left the house today in the first place.

"I hope she made enough food for seconds," Junior said, grinning. I laughed and shook my head, pedaling my bike beside him.

An orange and blue haze drowned the night sky with faded stars. The moon was beginning to make its way out, but it was hard to tell just by looking at it. Summer nights were the best times to enjoy the luxury of being outside. For one, I could stay out late because it wouldn't get dark until later. Secondly, the cool air at night was better than the hot afternoon weather.

But it'd only last for so long. July and August would be over before we knew it, then it'd be time for the kids in town to return to school. I'd be just another seventeen-year-old student unprepared to start his senior year of high school. Meanwhile, Junior was already excited to tackle the hardships of fourth grade. If only I had half the energy he woke up with everyday.

"I was just about to call you and tell you to bring Junior home." My mother stood on the front lawn checking the mail. Her eyes zeroed in on us nearing the driveway. "Did you two have fun?"

"Yeah. I saw a dead skunk though. It was sad." Junior shrugged. She raised an eyebrow at me but I waved her off. She nodded and wrapped her arms around his shoulders.

"Are you still hanging out with Patty today?" she asked.

"Yeah, we're going to Mr. Jefferson's diner," I said.

"Okay, make sure you get back before it gets dark. I'm going to put your food away for now. Don't make me come looking for you though." She narrowed her eyes and smiled playfully.

Though she was teasing, I knew she was far from joking. Ever since I added "running away" to my history of concerning behavior, she's made it her mission to make sure that never happens again. So, I was stuck as a prisoner in my own home. And if I wasn't a prisoner here, I was sheltered by her constant phone-calls and text messages.

"Okay! I'll text you when I get there!"

"Don't forget!" Her voice grew faint as I pedaled off down the street, the loud squeaking of my bike taking its place.

The familiar sound of the chains circling against each other brought a smile to my face. It was the kind of noise that said my bike was desperately in need of a gear change or something relatively new. It'd officially gotten old and rusted. My mother offered to buy me a new bike but I loved this bike too much. It held a lot of memories. Memories I wasn't ready to get rid of yet.