Nineteen

My mother paced the living room with her robe pulled tight around her waist. I could see her through the window as Officer Phillips guided me to the front door. My mother's footsteps halted the second she heard the door open. She rushed out the living room, her slippers dragging against the floor as she met us at the door.

"Tyler!" She rested her hands on my shoulders, twisting and turning my body to get a better look at me. "Are you alright? You're not hurt, are you?"

"I'm fine, mom." I grimaced.

She frowned and removed her hands. "I'm so sorry for the inconvenience at this hour officers. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again. Did you guys locate the suspect? Is everything okay?"

"It's okay, Ms. Davis." Officer Phillips sighed and shook her head. "Unfortunately, the perpetrator got away. We ask that none of you leave the premises again. If either of you see or hear anything strange, please don't hesitate to call us again. We'll be on the lookout."

My mother shifted with unease. "Are you sure it's safe for us to stay here tonight? We don't need to head somewhere else?"

"Yes, we believe you and your boys should be fine. After all, Tyler wasn't the target. Officer Delaney and officer Baring aren't going anywhere," Officer Phillips responded. I heard my mother sigh. She glanced at me, then back at Officer Phillips.

"Can you excuse us for a moment, Tyler?" My mother may have been asking politely but I knew that was a request. I nodded and headed straight to my room.

No more than five minutes later, my room door cracked open. My mother peeked her head inside. Her arms were folded. The distress on her face quickly morphed into disappointment.

"I oughta knock some sense into your head." She raised her hand, but never laid a finger on me. I flinched and took a step back. "Jesus Christ, Tyler. Do you know how panicked I felt when I entered your room to see you weren't there? I knocked on your door and you didn't answer!"

"I thought I was doing the right thing," I admitted.

"Tyler." She pinched the bridge of her nose. "Your father and I have been talking."

I reeled back. "About what?"

"Maybe it's best if you and Junior stay with him until this all blows over." She bit her lip and toyed with the edges of her shirt. My stomach dropped. "Oh, please don't look at me like that, Tyler. It's not forever. But I need to have you and Junior's best interest in mind."

"Sending us away won't make my stalker go away," I hissed.

"No, but maybe it'll make it harder for him to reach you," she argued.

"Mom, come on. You know that's just wishful thinking on your part."

"What am I supposed to do then, Tyler? What you did tonight was dangerous! Even when you're already in danger, you're throwing yourself into more danger."

"Our neighbor could have been killed if I didn't step in!"

"But it isn't your job to step in!" My mother took a deep breath, dragging her hands down her face. "Listen Ty . . . I understand that you were being a good samaritan. But I can't lose you trying to save someone else. I need you to think before you act."

She had a point but I wouldn't admit that easily.

"Just"—she breathed in, then sighed—"get some sleep. We'll discuss this tomorrow." She flicked off the light in my room, then retreated into the hallway.

Exhaustion took its course as I collapsed on my bed. For once, my thoughts weren't a jumbled mess. They were just a blank space that carried me to sleep.