Betrayed

Running through the fields below the woods, Tilly could feel the magiks of the Palace searching her out. If she were to be caught, she would not simply be spirited away as Rose had been. After all, she had already escaped the Palace once. She wouldn’t be able to do it a second time.

And the King wouldn’t risk her having the ability, or getting the help to do so if he caught her.

She ran all the way back to her hut, shutting her door tightly behind her, and sinking to the floor putting her face in her hands. How was she going to be able to help now that Rose had eaten the food of the Palace?

“Ventane.. You’d better keep your word.” She whispered softly.

*

Rose opened her mouth to call out, but Ventane put his hand over her mouth. They were suddenly free falling again, and sitting in his room.

She looked at him. She was crying. Rose stared at Ventane, "You knew that you were going to trap me here by letting me.." Ventane shushed her gently, and wrapped her in his arms.

"I'm sorry, Lady Rose.." he whispered, "I'm so sorry.." He smoothed her hair gently, letting her cry against him. " I was protecting you, as I am now.." he promised softly.

Rose looked up at him.

He looked down at her. He leaned close to her face and put his forehead to hers. "I promise, I'll get you home."

Rose wasn't sure anymore if that was what she wanted.

Ventane sat her across from him after a long while, and allowed the dim lights to return slowly. He smiled softly at her.

"You knew me before I came here?" Rose asked softly. She was done crying, but she was so full of questions that she was certain that she would burst at the seams before she could ask all of them.

Ventane nodded, "Oh yes, Lady Rose, I knew you when you were a little girl. The lady caught me first. She grabbed my ear one day when she caught me watching you in the fields."

Rose stared at Ventane, "Tilly? Tilly grabbed your ear? That doesn't sound much like her..." she said a bit absently as Ventane spoke again. 

"Lady -Tilly, you said- She has always been able to see our races. She can be very forward when she wants to be.. similar to yourself. She wanted to know why I took an interest in you and, more importantly, if I was up to -as she put it- "no good". I had to assure her many, many times before she let me loose that I wasn't going to do anything to harm you... But she let me around you more and more often as time went on. Tilly is very fond of so few of your kind, and she likes you so very much, you see." he took a breath, "She made me promise that if anything should ever happen to you that I would protect you the best I could." He blushed softly in the dim light suddenly.

"Fortunately for Lady Tilly I would have done so even had she not asked." He averted his eyes.

Rose blushed deeply and looked away, trying to keep the awkward moment from getting worse. "I see."

"I'm very fond of you, Lady Rose.." he whispered, "And I know that it's hard being here with no family... which is why I used so much of my magiks to help you see your friend when she called. You had already begun to forget.. If you ever really forget, you'll be lost forever."

Rose looked at him, " Is that why you look so ill?" She touched his face with her hand, venturing for the first time to touch him on her own accord. His skin was moist, but not wet. He didn’t move when she touched him.

Ventane took a deep breath and looked back at her, "As your friend said, I'm not completely of this race. I am part human as well. My Father was the grand Magician Vinthrille. He fell in love with the beautiful Lady that was my mother. He turned her human so that they would be able to be together, because Elves cannot bear children..." he hesitated, "But.. when I was born, I was weak, as many halfling babies are and my mother returned me to this land that I might grow up safe and strong." he hesitated, and touched Rose's hand with his own, "To use my Magiks is very weakening. It can make me appear ill, or worse, can make me very seriously ill. The bigger the magiks, the more of a toll it takes on me."