After Dark (41)

--chapter 41--

Seth Clearwater

Jake called an emergency pack meeting. He's never done it before, so we were all tense and everything. We were in a clearing deep, deep into the forest so no-one could hear us. None of us bothered phasing because it was easier to talk rather than everyone hear your thoughts. Either that or Jake didn't want us to know something. Same here for me. Brady went missing two days ago, so it's been well. I was right, no one noticed. Jared and I haven't spoken about it since, and we haven't seen Brooke again.

"Okay," Jake said. "There's been a killing." Oh no. H-he can't be talking about that.

"Another human?" Leah asked.

"No, a member of Sam's pack." Jake replied.

Everyone's faces turned to horror. More so, mine. Someone had noticed. I just hope they won't find out how he died. We don't know either, we just figured he was dead when he never came back for two whole days.

"A bloodsucker killed him?" Quil asked and clenched his fists.

"Who was it?" Leah asked.

"Brady is the wolf who is no longer with us. I know he's not from our pack, but this will still affect us." Jake turned to Quil. "I don't know what killed him. It seems like he was shot and his body was mauled up by an animal."

"No bite marks?" Quil asked.

"None that I saw. There was a deep cut on his neck, but it was too wide to be a vampire." Jake confirmed.

"But, we made a deal with Sam's pack. They'll take care of the North, us the South. What was he doing patrolling all the way here?" Leah pointed out.

"He could have been coming from somewhere." I blurted out. I didn't want them getting suspicious or anything. Oh God I hope Jared hasn't told anyone.

"Yeah, maybe. But to make sure, I'll ask the Cullens if they know anything about it." Jake said.

We had all warmed up a little to them over the years. More so Jake and I. But the rest never let us forget that they are our mortal enemies. But Jake isn't so hot with them, he justs likes Renesmee and Bella, and they are good at getting information. I actually think of them as my friends, but they are always reminding me the rivalry between us and the vampires.

"Keep your eyes open," Jake added. "Because whoever may have shot him, saw him in his human form. Word might have gotten out about us."

"What about the wolf you saw the other day?" I asked.

Jake thought for a while. "I'll try to talk to her," Leah perked up at the mention of the word 'her'. "See if she knows anything about this." Jake said.

We talked a while after that, about random things actually. Like how we might have to come together with the Cullens and Sam's pack again to stop this vampire, to what new movies were out, from one thing to the next.

***

I met up with Jake later on at around seven. He looked like he was leaving.

"Where're you going?" I asked him.

"Out." he said.

"Me and the guys thought we could all hang out tonight."

"Sorry, can't." He tried to edge past me, but I kept blocking him.

"Why?" I asked.

"I told you, I'm going out."

"With who?"

"Someone." Jake said and walked away from me towards his motorbike.

"Say hi to Nessie for me!" I called out. His back straightened from the mention of her name and he sped off into the darkness.

Of course I knew he had no intentions of going to the big, white house towards the North. Oh no. I knew Jake. He'd most likely be heading South, towards the quiet, secluded hotel called La Foresta. But the real question was: why was Jake keeping this a secret? So he's been spending time with Brooke. Hearing the others' thoughts, they quite liked her.They thought it was good that Jake was staying away from the half-vampire, that he was seeing a human.

But only Jared and I knew the truth.

*****