II. 𝐬𝐩𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐱

"HERE, HERE!" Your teacher turned around, glaring at you while you rushed over with a wrinkled sheet of paper in your hands

"HERE, HERE!" Your teacher turned around, glaring at you while you rushed over with a wrinkled sheet of paper in your hands. You stopped short in front of a crowd of your peers and your teacher, hunched over with your hands on your knees. "I'm here!" When your head shot up, you met Shinozaki and Shinoda's excited eyes all the while handing over your permission slip (signed by your own hands). Your teacher took it from your hands, grimacing at the state of it before scrutinizing the (obviously) forged signature. Not that he was paid enough to care.

"Try and show up on time for once, will you?"

You gave him a small thumbs-up before Shinozaki and Sonoda rushed up to you with faux tears in their eyes. "Komiyaaa." With a roll of your eyes, you crossed your arms, looking away, "you two are lucky I tolerate you." As you all joined the rest of your peers, a few large buses rolled up and the teachers began hurrying everyone onto them. You, Shinozaki, and Sonoda clambered your way into the back, shoving through your classmates until you crashed into the last group of seats, laughing obnoxiously. While you came down from your short high, you looked over the rows of half-empty seats, spotting Kokonoe as a handful of girls trailed after him to a nearby seat.

"Hey, hey, Komiya," called Shinozaki with a nudge to your ribs, grinning when you turned to him with a deadpan. "Don't worry, I won't tell Sonoda about your crush on Kokonoe—" you choked on your spit as Sonoda gaped from beside you both, "anyway! Look at this funny little video I found!" You glared up at Shinozaki through your hair as your throat burned, glaring even harder when the stupid cat video everyone kept talking about popped up on his phone's screen. "Oh, wait, not this- this." The screen switched to a video of two people with masks over their faces: one blue, one yellow.

"A'ight."

"Ta-da!"

You raised a brow as they made weird hand motions, the one in the blue mask stepping forward. "Uh, hi there. I'm Sphinx Number One," the blue-masked person introduced, as the yellow-masked person waved their arms and stepped forward with a spoon in their hand, "I'm Number Two and I love curry." You looked away from the screen to give Shinozaki a questioning look which he answered with an excited grin and a nod. "Anyway, there's been a sudden change in the weather forecast for tomorrow." Your brows furrowed— weather forecast?

"Expect darkness to descend on Tokyo sometime after 3 PM," the blue-masked person began as you tried to understand what the whole weather talk meant. Even if this was only about the weather, why make a video about it with a disguise. "Big sparks are gonna shower all over Shinjuku!" You looked over at Shinozaki again, expecting him to mirror your feelings, yet he simply watched enthusiastically. "Use caution when leaving your homes—" you grimaced, "—That's that. Have a nice day, people!"

"God wasn't that cool?!" Shinozaki exclaimed as he pulled his phone back into his pocket, while Sonoda rolled his eyes, munching on some chips that he had pulled from his bag. "There's nothing cool about that, shithead," Sonoda said through a mouthful of food, "it's just a bunch of fucking nerds acting all creepy and weird." In your peripherals, you could see Kokonoe turn to look at you all for a brief moment until Shinozaki gasped loudly. With a sigh, you shook your head, rubbing your hand over your face, "you can't call people nerds when you're a nerd, Sonoda."