Dinner

His bus ride the next morning felt even longer than usual. His heart kept fluttering in his chest every time he thought of Dean, making him both excited and anxious. They were going to have to take this slowly, not just for Castiel's benefit, but because it was imperative they keep this quiet at school. Ironically, it didn't matter what he did because he had already been labeled. Castiel didn't want it happening to Dean.

Despite trying not to smile when he walked into homeroom, the moment Dean caught sight of him and grinned, Castiel had to grin right back. He couldn't help himself where Dean was concerned.

"What did your mom say?" Dean asked, gesturing to Castiel's red and swollen lip as he sat down. "Did she notice?"

"I believe I'm more adept at applying makeup than I thought. I don't think she realized."

"Wait, what makeup?"

"I helped myself to some of my mother's liquid foundation to hide the bruising last night before she arrived home. I kept it on through dinner."

Dean laughed. "I never would've thought of that."

"I couldn't hide the swelling, however. But she didn't say anything. Perhaps she simply didn't notice."

"Let's hope so. You've got enough problems," Dean said.

Mr. Zachariah came over to where the two of them were talking.

"Mr. Winchester, your presence is requested in the principal's office."

"Shit."

"Yep, I tend to agree with you there," Mr. Zachariah replied.

"See you later, Cas."

"Goodbye, Dean," he responded miserably.

As it turned out, Castiel didn't see him for the rest of the day. He was worried about it, wondering what had happened in Mr. Murphy's office and what kind of punishment Dean had received. Although Dean did hit Alastair first, it was partly in retaliation for what Alastair did to Castiel. He hoped Dean made it clear to the principal that lashing out wasn't without reason. He ran his fingertips over his aching lip and sighed. He felt guilty for getting Dean involved at all. He should have been the one defending himself.

Mercifully, the day passed without Castiel seeing Alastair either. He kept looking over his shoulder for signs of Tom or Brady seeking revenge, but it never came.

He barely paid attention in any of his classes, spending most of the time thinking and worrying about Dean. In auto shop, Mr. Singer was sympathetic after what had happened the day before and allowed Castiel to sit out the windshield wiper replacement instruction. Castiel had already taken notes and had a good idea how to do it, even if he hadn't gotten the practical application thanks to Alastair.

When the bus dropped him off at the end of the day, the first thing he did as he made his way through the parking lot of the apartment complex was to look for the Impala. When he didn't see it, he doubled back and checked the other lots, but it wasn't anywhere in the complex. He didn't notice it in the school lot either.

Dean's whereabouts were still on his mind when he entered his apartment.

"I'm home."

"How was your day?" his mother asked.

"Below average," Castiel answered.

"Why is that?"

"Dean was removed from homeroom this morning and had to report to the principal's office."

"Yes, I know," she said.

Castiel frowned. "I don't understand, how do you — "

"Principal Murphy called me this afternoon at work and told me what happened between you, Dean, Alastair, and a maliciously well-aimed windshield wiper arm."