Chapter 1

Living in this world, you learn to heighten your senses. Maybe that was the only thing that kept saving Zeref, and what kept him living from day to day.

Eyes shot awake by the approaching sound of feet long dead and decaying, the moans growing louder into his ears, despite them not even being within a few feet of his door. In mere seconds, all of his belongings were across his back, and he started the climb to the rooftops.

In this world, your most valuable asset are your weapons, so don't you dare leave them behind. Everything else was purely luxury. Provisions were scarce outside of the compound he worked, but even so, an ability to defend yourself came before sustenance.

Food was no use to you if you are dead.

Once you died, you became the food.

Zeref made it to the top of the building, looking out to the horizon at the compound that he would be heading back to in minutes. He would have to travel by roof, the ground now littered in the dead overrunning his assigned housing. He sighed at the thought of having to go through the process of being reassigned again.

He slung his bag onto the roof, running a check to make sure all his weapons were in order. Two pistols, a rifle, full quiver of arrows for the crossbow he was issued, and the spiked chains he was supposed to be wearing at all times. Everything was there. He slipped the crossbow and quiver onto his back, and adorned his wrists with the chains, locking them in place so if need be they could be swung around without the fear of them flying off.

Zeref reached to the bottom of the bag and pulled out the radio that was crackling with loud bangs, signaling trouble for his commander. He adjusted the signal until he was sure he would be able to communicate with her.

"Come in, Phoenix." He yelled into the radio, hoping he could be heard over the fire. He waited a minute before speaking again, and almost immediately he got an answer.

"I'm here!" Phoenix's voice yelled from the radio, and it was received by a cringe from Zeref. "There was some trouble here but I took care of it. Just a few minor demonic beings nothing major."

Zeref gave a sigh of relief. "Excellent. Should I head your way before going back to the compound? The dead just overran my quarters."

"Give me your location and I'll head that way. It'll be a lot easier than you trying to find me."

Zeref pulled out a small map and gave a quick look around. He saw the markings made by Headquarters that was signaling where he was. The giant blue star on the corner of the farthest building was his indication of where to look on his map.

"I'm on top of the Dimo Drive Safe House."

"Take cover, I'm coming in hot." The radio proceeded to go silent. Zeref slammed everything back into the bag and laid face first on the ground, bracing himself for what was coming next.

A giant wave of heat washed over his back, and he prayed that he wouldn't be burned by it like he had the first time this happened. It may have been years before that it happened, but it was just a fear he always had in the back of his mind. The heat subsided after a few moments, and he stood up and faced his commanding slayer, catching a glimpse of the flames retreating into her back.

There was something about Phoenix that Zeref was so attracted to. He didn't know if it was the way her bright red hair cascaded down her face and shoulders, if it was what was under all that gear she had to wear, but he was certain it was not her ability to tear him apart. Being trained under a half-demon was no easy feat, because if you set them off in the wrong way, you might end up losing a head.