Chapter 2

The concrete walls and reinforced windows of the Headquarters was a welcoming sight to Zeref as he made his way to the front door of the building. Before reaching the door, he pulled out a blank card designed in red and black. He swiped it across the reader, and he stepped into the cool air of the compound.

Today was a very busy day, seeming that Zeref's compound wasn't the only one that had been overrun. He noticed other low ranked Slayers as well as their supervising officers scrambling to get supplies backed up. A few children of the moon were being escorted to the East Sector, bound in chains and shackles.

"Have you suffered as well?"

Zeref recognized the voice that he hadn't heard in weeks. It belonged to a night dweller, given the name of Braden. As Zeref turned, he was struck by the familiar moon white hair, and the soul piercing scarlet eyes.

"They actually let you out of the East Sector?" Zeref questioned, checking around for guards to be running towards them.

"Yes, since I am helping them organize new safe houses. I can offer them the sight they need to map out new ones." Braden said, a sigh of relief washing over Zeref. His friend would not be heading back to the East Sector any time soon.

"Would you mind trying to get me one close to here? I was too close to the Zoha Sector that time for comfort." Braden nodded and headed off.

Not spending another second in the main room, Zeref headed off to the North Sector, also known as the Housing Sector. It was where all the Slayers were assigned rooms based on skill level, weapon choice, and who their commanding Slayer was. Being the Zeref was of the highest skill level, varying in weapons, and being commanded by the highest ranking Slayer in the Headquarters, he got to stay in the very far back of the Sector.

It was the farthest away from everyone else, and everything they fought for.

It was far enough away from reality for comfort.

Then again, reality wasn't too far away from his door. Housed next door to Slayer Phoenix didn't make anything easy. Think about sleeping during the day, she'd drag Zeref out for more training. Think about sleeping during the night, she'd keep him awake with her endless partying. She wasn't a Head Slayer for nothing.

The one good thing about being next to her though, was just getting to see her so close, which not many others got to do. Zeref could never deny that he had some feelings for the fire-tempered killer, whether they be physical or emotional, and those feelings in the end kept him feeling like he was human and not like one of the monsters they fought against.

Reality struck him all too soon as he heard the sound of wood breaking and his reflexes kicked in as he managed to nearly avoid a door flying in front of him and crashing into the wall next to him. A familiar face soon followed the door, crashing into the same wall.

"Where were you two hours ago?!" Zeref heard the familiar yelling of his commanding officer, and tried to step around the fighting and get to his room.

"I told you I was trying to help your little trainee!" Zeref snapped his head around and nearly collided with Slayer Nova, who the words that made his blood boil had came out of.

"I. Am Not. A Little. Trainee." Zeref spoke those words slow, trying to get every word across without putting a knife through the man.

Nova detached himself from the wall, towering over Zeref who was not the tallest Slayer in the compound. Zeref could see the claw marks barely hidden by the fabric Nova called a shirt. She was in one of those moods again and was taking it out on her punching bag. Zeref pitied the man that stood before him, but also felt anger for how he talked down to him.