• Chapter 7 •

---
Maybe we can paint them together later. What do you think?
---

"O- oh," you say, a little shocked. He's already too far away to hear you. 'He's a lot nicer than I thought he was. I wish I knew his name...' You cover your face with your hands and tilt your head upwards in frustration. All this name nonsense is killing you. 'Whatever, I'll ask Maki-san later.'

Your face cooling down, you make your way to the building he pointed to. It looks almost identical to the other buildings on campus, just maybe a little smaller. The pastel pink flowers on the trees had already started to retreat into their shells, even though it had only been around 5 days. You think of ways to be able to see them longer while walking to the building, and eventually come up with the idea of painting the blossoms when you have free time.

Opening the creaky door, you immediately realize you should've knocked. The assistant director Ijichi was doing some work on his computer, and he shot up with a terrified expression when you entered. 'Jumpy, much?' The man rushes towards you, and you take a step back so he isn't so close. "Hello there. Did Satoru call you here?" "More like the opposite," you say, a little surprised at how formal he was being to a student.

"Oh, I think he went to Sendai City to buy some sweets. Is there something you need from him?"

"I think he forgot a piece of my uniform, and since he's the one who brought it to me I figured he'd have it."

"That may be the case, but before you go out of your way to find him, I'll check the closet we keep spare uniforms in. Stay right here."

The man stiffly walks away from you and to a hall near the back of the building. He exits your vision, and you hear the sound of an industrial door opening, then closing. He quickly exits the room with something black folded neatly in his hand. Walking closer to you, he bows and extends his arms. You hesitantly receive the top and thank him.

Exiting the building, you play with the soft black top in your hands. It's the same material as the hood, and you wonder what kind of fabric it is. Unfolding it, you realize the flexible fabric is actually a bodysuit: probably so you don't have to repetitively tuck it into your skirt. Whoever made these uniforms obviously knew what they were doing.

Making it to your room, you shut the door and change for the fourth time today. 'What a pain...' Taking everything off, you step into the bodysuit, pulling it upwards and placing the straps on your shoulders. Your skirt and top are also added to the outfit, and you look at the finished product in the mirror content with how it turned out.

Finally making it to the field, you run up to Maki who is running laps around the track. "Nice uniform. You got lucky," she says to you, tugging on her top with a sarcastic smile on her face. "Yeah, I'm still embarrassed I went outside like that though. It could have been really problematic if you hadn't said anything." "Yep. You're lucky to have me around!" she says enthusiastically, pointing to herself with her thumb.

Still keeping up with her, Maki picks up speed. You wonder why she suddenly changed how fast she was running until you see someone run past you. The short boy was already a few feet in front of Maki, and was creating even more distance between them.

"It's frustrating how athletic he is," she says looking back at you. You're staring at him in shock at how far ahead he already is. Breaking out of your trance, you lower your stance and start to pick up speed. "I'm gonna catch up to him!" you tell to her, already passing the green-haired girl. "If you can manage it, I'll never forgive you!"

Speeding up even more, you sprint to catch up to Inumaki. Your legs are already getting tired, but you push through and continue. 'Wait, why am I trying to catch up to him again? What's the point?' you think to yourself. 'Oh, I remember now. I want to compete!' The realization puts a smile on your face.

It'd been awhile since you'd gotten to compete in something like this, after all. At the Zen'in clan's mansion, you were always doing jujutsu lessons alone with your father as a teacher. He was harsh, and always made you work past your limits. It taught you perseverance, though, which is why you figured you had a chance at catching up to Inumaki.

Getting faster still, your hair and top sway violently behind you. You're now panting, and desperately wanting a break. But you were too close to give up now. Only about 15 feet ahead of you was the surprisingly athletic boy, and at this rate you would catch up to him.

You thought for a second what you would do after you meet him, and decide on a casual greeting so things aren't too awkward. But at the rate your energy was depleting, you probably wouldn't be able to talk through the pants for air. 'I guess I'll just do whatever feels right in the moment."

Closing the distance between you two, Inumaki glances back, hearing your rapid footsteps. A shocked expression washes out the normal monotone one he wears, and soon he doesn't have to turn his head back to see you.

Now side-by-side, you wave to him, fully aware of your most likely tomato-red, sweaty face. He waves back, his face only a little bit flushed, but not from the strenuous activity. "Do you need to sit down?" he asks, his face now painted with worry. Hearing his voice catches you off guard, and you slow to a stop. "Yes..." you say, abruptly sitting down on the rough track. You gasp for breath and watch as Maki eyes you, passing the two of you.

He walks away after scanning you to see if you're alright, and you start to get up and follow. "Stay here," he says, turning around. You sit back down obediently and watch as he walks off to the other side of the track. Panda watches him, but continues with his stretches.

After a minute or so, he returns with something in his hands. You focus your eyes on the objects and see that they're bottles of water. Sitting down surprisingly close to you, he extends his arm slightly, offering you a bottle. You take it, unscrew the cap and take a large swig. The water clashes against your dry throat and seems to cool you down, although your face still feels red.

"Thank you, I really needed this," you say, looking at him. He nods and toys with the cap of his bottle. "Are you going to drink yours? It's getting warmer out, even if you're not tired." His face suddenly flushes and he looks down, tugging up his already tall collar.

"I'll have it later, but thank you for the concern." Your face seems to get warmer again from the sudden shy action. Although it was hard for you to admit, it was a bit cute. You do wonder why he never unzips his collar around you though. You brush it off, and decide that he can show you when he's ready.

Placing your arms behind you, you lean on them, gazing at the last few blossoms on the trees ahead of you. They were oddly comforting, and you couldn't wait to paint them after practice. Taking another sip of water, you place the bottle next to you and glance at Inumaki. You follow the direction of his eyes and see he's also looking at the trees.

"Do you like them too?" you ask, leaning back a bit more. He nods, and you smile. "Maybe we can paint them together later. What do you think?"

"That way we can see them longer?"

"Yeah," you respond, locking eyes with him. "Sounds like fun." "Mhm," you say, trying to keep yourself from exploding due to excitement. "Meet me outside the second year building after training, and don't worry about bringing anything. I have everything you need."

You see him lean towards you just a bit, and your face starts to get warmer. He goes back to looking at the trees again, and you realize he never leaned forwards in the first place. 'Gosh, it really is hot today. I'm even starting to see things. Maybe I need more water," you think to yourself.

Taking yet another drink, you glance and see the light pink flush underneath his eyes hasn't faded, even though the two of you have cooled down. You realize your face it probably pink too, and divert your gaze in case he looks back.

Circling around the track again, Maki stops were you two are and glares. "Are you guys going to run or just sit there?" Inumaki turns to you again. "Are you alright now?" You nod, starting to lift yourself up. "That's good." The two of you stand up and you start to walk off, before he grabs your shoulder.

Turning around a bit confused, he raises his arm, and your realization of the action makes a smile spread across your face. "Good job," he says, giving you a light high-five. You see his eyes squish, showing that he's smiling back at you. "Thanks," you say, dropping your arm and walking alongside him, a smile spread across your face from the achievement.