(CH. 18) I'm running out of chapter names.

I don't know where I got the idea that I was a runner.

I'm not fast, or fit, and I didn't have much endurance either. Running wasn't my thing, and it especially wasn't my thing when I wanted water more than the answer to life.

Regardless, I was still running like crazy.

Bird-Zilla flew in the direction of where my cabinmates were. I didn't know if he knew they were there, or why he ignored me, but I sure wasn't acting like I cared.

I didn't know what running would do for me; I was lost, after all. But Bird-Zilla was big. I'm sure that if I keep running, eventually, I'd find the avian, and hopefully, not my cabinmates.

My insides raced along with me. My heart, my lungs, my brain, everything. All of my body and soul put effort to get my foot to do the next step. Just run, Lewis. Just run. Take the gun out, load the thing, and run. Even if it distracts him for a little, the shot will be worth it. Keep looking for the bird, Lewis. Just keep looking.

The environment was getting more same-ey, but the path ahead was the only thing I had to focus on.  Eventually, I would find that stupid bird–

**SWOOSH**

"G-GAUGH!"

My running stopped midway, no thanks to a sudden punch on my back. I flew forward, landing on the dirt like a pancake.

"C-Crap, what was that?"

I could feel... mud? Yes, mud was on my back. I stood up and swiped at it, looking at my hand afterward.

"It is! It is mud!"

I wiped my hand clean, resuming my running. If I hurried, I could still–

"...Wait."

How did I get mud on my back in the first place?

I stopped, staring at the ground. All of a sudden, turning around was a daunting prospect. I didn't want to see what it was that... flung mud at me.

"Maybe it won't be so bad. Come on Lewis..."

I swiftly turned my head, almost snapping it off. With the same speed, a thick, brown, cylindrical object was being launched at me.

"Gah!"

I tried to back off, but I just ended up tripping. Fortunately, that was exactly what needed to happen.

Above me was a long pile of dirt grass, just suspended in the air. I kept staring at it, mesmerized. Then it stopped being suspended.

**PLAP**

"...Gross."

The pole broke, and a bunch of wet dirt landed on my face.

I stood up again, wiping the mud as fast as I could. But as I was wiping it off, it started to move. It was slithering away from me, being pulled like it had a string attached. I felt my back, and sure enough, the mud there was gone too.

"What the...?"

I opened my eyes, squinting, making sure to catch every detail of what I was seeing.

"...What are you?"

A box-headed humanoid being made of flowing brown liquid, much like that of a dark chocolate fountain, was a dozen or so meters away. I'm pretty sure it had grass on top of its head and shoulders.

"You are so gross."

I started walking backward. The thing moved pretty slowly, but I knew it could throw things at me.

"Do your next move, come on!"

He followed my orders. He wound his arm back and flung his fist right at me. It was fast, but my forward dive was faster. I got up, ignoring the dirt that landed on my face, and made a break for it.