(26) Inexplicable environment.

I thought that this trek was going to be pleasing and relaxing. I thought the most I'd have to carry on my back were my torn-up clothes. I was wrong.

Despite its large size, Teddy's bag couldn't fit all of the junk inside Rivver's chest, so she took out a different bag, stuffed the rest in, and handed it to me. It was a lot heavier than I expected.

I saw her put, what, maybe some wood in there? A few miscellaneous items like sheathed knives, paper, and pencils, and yet, this thing weighed a ton. I don't know if it was just me, or if something funny was up with the items, but it wouldn't matter. I'd be forced to carry it anyway.

On the bright side, we weren't just wandering around aimlessly. From the moment we left the cabin, we had a guide; Teddy, leading us to our next adventure. I guess the payoff's worth it.

We already left the woods and were steadily trekking through the swamp. Well, I say that, but in reality, it was just me and Rivver who were trekking steadily. Kyrelle had the ground under her foot collapse multiple times, and Teddy was just... trying his best. I couldn't blame him though, the luggage he was carrying must be pretty heavy.

"Ay, Lewis... Can I put some of my stuff in your bag? This weight is bloody killing me."

"No can do, Teddy. I'm already this close to getting a muscle ripped."

Oh yeah, and then there was Rupert, who was acting as a scout of sorts, swaying away from the main group. Since he was an agile deer, he didn't have much trouble moving around the area.

This was nice and all, but there was a caveat here: we were, once again, just walking. I knew that it was hypocritical of me to complain about it right now, but still, I couldn't deny that it was boring.

I desperately thought of things I could do. I couldn't even marvel at Rupert's cuteness, so I was dry on options. I looked around me for any ideas, and my eyes landed on Rivver.

"...Hmm."

Now that I thought about it, I haven't just sat down and chatted with Rivver for a while. The both of us aren't getting too slowed down by the environment, so I figured, why the hell not?

"Hey, Rivver."

"Hmm? Oh, hi Lewis."

"How's it going?"

"I'm doing alright. The walk is pleasant. This place reeks, though."

"Tell me about it. It's such an exotic smell. It reminds me of swamps back at home. Well, I didn't have swamps at home, but I have been to some."

"What are they like?"

"Well..."

I looked around, noting certain features I could compare this swamp to the ones I knew, which were admittedly few and far between.

"I guess... they're not that similar to this swamp, really. Sure, there was water, but there was much more water, and there were these cool animals called frogs."

"Oh? I've never heard of those."

"...That's interesting, isn't it?"

"What's so interesting about it?"

"Oh, nothing, it's just... never mind."

Sometimes, it felt like my reality– earth? Well, whatever, point is, it felt like that place bled into the complex in more forms than just mentals. Pautila had both frogs and deer, but this place doesn't have frogs in swamps.

"At the very least, that probably means there aren't any alligators here."

"And what are those?"

"Oh, horrifying creatures. Not as bad as the things I've seen here, and, well, Australia, but still, awful."

Rivver gave me a distressed look with a raised eyebrow.

"I don't mean to be rude, but I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Ay, and what the bloody hell is Australia!?"

"How the hell did you hear me from over there!?"

I turned my head back to Teddy for a moment before turning it back.

"Anyway, yeah, my home is totally different from this place."

"What else is there about it?"

"Ah well, there's these things called the sun and the moon. They're very much lacking here."

"The moon? Hmm..."

"What is it?"

She raised her claws and started scratching her chin.

"That name is familiar to me. I think I've heard it somewhere before; somewhere in my village."

"What, like from that human?"

"...No. Surprisingly not."

She pointed her eyes to the sky, lost in thought. I decided to leave her be for now and focus on my own things. That being...

"Nothing. Damn."

"Oh, I remember now."

"That fast!?"

She turned her face to me and pointed her finger to the sky.

"My father used to always tell me that the moon was a big circle in the sky, and how it represented a time when all beings should rest."