Prologue - Just A Kid.

The waves were calm, the boat wasn't rocking heavily, and the crewmen were ready for another day.

???: Another day huh?

???: Yeah, I guess you can say that.

???: Say, you enjoy this more than your last profession?

???: Well, it's pretty fun.

???: Heh, yeah, until it gets windy, then we're on an episode of Deadliest Catch.

???: Ha! I liked that show, very entertaining.

???: Yeah, until you're the one on set.

???: Well, let's hope today is a normal day.

The men were tossing cages and nets in hopes of catching more fish or crab.

???: Ya know Mr. Serizawa, I like the boat a lot… But-

???: Uh oh.

???: Get ready heh.

Serizawa: Ok ok, what is it?

???: It's just the name, you couldn't think of something else for it?

???: Here he goes…

Serizawa: Haha!

???: Dude, what's wrong with the name? It sounds cool!

???: No no, don't get me wrong, 'Lucky Dragon' sounds cool, but at the same time, it sounds kind of goofy.

???: Hey you said it, just know that.

Serizawa: Ha, ok ok look, I named it based on history.

???: Are we getting another storytime?

Serizawa: Oh you bet you are.

???: Oh here we go.

???: Love these stories.

Serizawa: Basically, this was after WW2, after Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed, the US was still continuing bomb tests. Now, there existed a boat, called the "Daigo Fukuryū Maru" (Lucky Dragon No. 5), the men on that boat thought it'd be another day for fishing, however they were near Bikini Atoll, near the Marshall Islands. They encountered the fallout from the US Castle Bravo nuclear test that day, suffering from radiation. I decided to name this boat, after that one, to remember and honor those men, they did not deserve what happened to them that day. I hope it doesn't happen to either of you all.

???: Jesus… to think we've come a long way from Nuclear testing.

???: Hey, you ask me, I'm glad we're not living in it anymore.

???: Of course we'd be glad, but those who had to live in it were not. I could never imagine what they had to go through.

Serizawa: Ok ok look, no need to feel down, I know the story was heartbreaking, but we got a day ahead of us, come on, let's fish.