Chapter 2: Evelyn Boray's POV

I finished marking the demons' advances. They are getting really close. Too close. We will have to have a council meeting. Maybe evacuate the town if they get closer.

"Demons?" Asks a slightly quivering voice from behind me. I nod my head the slightest bit. Poor Athen. He lost his best (probably only) friend to a raid 11 years ago. The child that was taken, Varian, was newly 9 years old. Athen was even younger. The day the raid happened was his 8th birthday.

  I turn to see his beautiful forest green eyes grow wide and distant, the pupils dilating out of fear. His copper hair, which was normally unruly and defied gravity, seemed to deflate and his waves sagged. He got paler too. His few freckles turning a beige instead of bronze.

  Poor child. It's almost exactly 11 years to the day. His 19th birthday is in two weeks. His best friend has been gone for over a decade now. Probably eaten. I feel a twinge of sadness at that thought. But the world is a cruel place and the demons are cruel creatures, so I must keep moving. I do still feel grief though. At the loss of Athen's first and only friend his age, and the loss of the confident leader that child would've likely grown to be.

  "Ahem." I cleared my throat and tapped his forehead. "The books? On the charts? That you are supposed to be putting away?" I tapped again. "Hello?"

  "Huh?" He inquired at my reminder.

  I sighed  "The books, dear."

  I gestured at the place where the boxes of books and scrolls that had apparently been forgotten as Athen was lost in his thoughts. "We have a new shipment." 

  "Oh-uh- Yes right!" He hurried over to the area where I gestured and opened the first box.

   You know what?, I thought to myself,  I wonder if he will find it...

( Author: From now on what I write as a message will be bold. Omg, I seriously felt like I was writing Varian's obituary this chapter.😢. Poor Athen, Evelyn is right. There is much more to go on from this chapter though.......)

Behind the scenes:

A/N: *Begins cackling like the psycho I am*

Athen: omg, she good?

Evelyn: no she is not. The demons have taken her soul and fed it to the anxious, stressed, insomniac, ADHD powered gods. But let us read a book!

A/N: Book? Ayo, Athen try this one. *yeets black book with a leather cover at him* *starts cackling again*

E and A: *genuinely confused*

A/N: Soon enough, soon enough...

( sorry y'all I got STAAR next week and have ✨zero✨ idea how to prep for it, or if I'm even allowed. Also, I'm running on 3 hours of sleep w/ a headache. Bye.)