20. The Message

They waited in the Impala by the curb outside Blake's office the next night. Several rooms in the building had lights on. Y/N, Sam, Dean, and Blake were staying in the Impala until the last lights went out and the last car left the parking lot.

   "I still don't understand why we're sneaking in," said Blake. He and Y/N were together in the back seat. "You guys are FBI. Why can't you just waltz in there and ask for the footage?"

   "That's not how this works, buddy," replied Dean. There was a nasty edge to his voice. "Just trust us."

   Blake leaned back and sighed.

   "It's gonna be okay," said Y/N comfortingly. "We're going to prove that you're telling the truth."

   Even in the dim light, she could see circles beneath his eyes from restless nights, but his hair was neatly styled and his tie was straight. That may seem like a strange thing to notice, but Y/N did like a man who cared how he looked.

   Blake's gaze subtly traveled down to her lips and he swallowed. "Why are you helping me?"

   "Because it's our job," said Y/N with a bit of a forced laugh. He wants to kiss me. It wasn't that she didn't want that too, it was just better to wait until they were alone than have a mushy moment when Sam and Dean were right there in the front of the Impala.

   "But you didn't have to. Thank you."

   She smiled.

   "Time to go," announced Dean, getting out of the car.

   Breaking into the building was easy. It was nothing they hadn't done before, and Blake knew the place well. Soon enough, they were walking along the hallway toward the surveillance room. Sam and Dean were at the front, illuminating their way with flashlights. The cold air sent chills down Y/N's spine, and she could tell Blake felt the same thing.

   "It's in here," he said when they reached a closed door. Dean easily picked the lock and when they were inside, Sam got to work on the computers. Dean folded his arms, looking cross and stealing not-so-subtle glances at Y/N and Blake, who were standing so close together that their shoulders were brushing. Y/N was acutely conscious of the fact. She'd be lying if she said she wasn't doing it on purpose. It's not fair, though. You ended things with Dean and now you're making him jealous? That's so cruel, a voice inside her head rebuked her. At the same time, another voice argued with it; We're going to be gone in a few days. I'm allowed to flirt every once in awhile. It's not like Dean and I were together. That final point at the end didn't bring the comfort she expected it to.

   "Check this out," said Sam. They all crowded around the screen.

   It showed Blake pulling up in this car and getting out of it while a hooded figure came into view and began walking toward him. As he locked his car, the figure reached him and slammed him into his car with surprising strength. Long hair spilled out from beneath the hood. They raised their hand to strike again and Blake put up his arm to block it. His silver watch came into contact with the thing's skin. It jerked back and examined its burn before turning to run away. Sure enough, the eyes glowed when it faced the camera.

   "I knew it!" whispered Blake triumphantly. "I knew I wasn't crazy."

   During Blake's moment of relief, Dean nudged Y/N's arm. "You were right. It's a shifter."

   "Of course I was right," she retorted.

____________________________________________________________

   That night, no sooner had Y/N crawled into the lumpy motel bed when her phone buzzed. She rolled her eyes and sat up, cross-legged, and switched on the lamp on the nightstand before answering. "Hello?"

   "It's me," came Blake's voice. They'd dropped him off at his house, reassuring him that the FBI would get straight to work on proving his case. "She was here- Willow was here. She left a message."

____________________________________________________________

   "Writing You're Next on his mirror in red paint?" Dean scoffed. "This shifter watches way too many movies."

   "Why would it give him a warning, anyway? Why not just kill him?"wondered Sam.

   "Because it's inexperienced," said Y/N, glancing over at the poor man sitting on the edge of Dean's bed. He hadn't spoken much since arriving at the motel, only explaining what he'd seen and making a few quips of how surprised he was that the FBI couldn't afford better lodging for its agents. Y/N and the Winchesters were conversing in hushed tones in the corner. She noticed the boys giving her confused looks. "Oh, come on. It's clear as day. Clue number one- that sloppy tactic when it offed Mrs. Hannigan? If it was used to killing, it would be more subtle. Clue number two- one burn from a silver watch wouldn't stop a mature shifter from completing the job. It was taken off guard. Clue number three- this cliche message. It's scared, so it's trying to scare Blake."

   "We'll keep him here tonight," said Dean. Could he sound more disappointed?

   Meanwhile, a look of realization came over Sam's face and he walked over to Blake. "You said there's a party tomorrow for Mrs. Hannigan? Do you plan on going?"

   "I have to," said Blake, as though he were offended. "My parents are hosting the thing. I'm giving a speech."

   "That's when we'll kill the thing," announced Sam, turning back to the other two. "It's got to be going after him at the event."

   "Wait a minute." Blake held up a hand. "What the hell are you talking about? What are you going to kill? What's going on?" He leapt to his feet, eyes widening.

   "Who's gonna give him the talk?" said Dean grumpily.