Chapter 8: The diner call

Out on the highway, Tom had been driving for a while with Sonic in the passenger seat.

"Okay pal, you need to start talking." Tom said, demanding an answer from Sonic. "Who are you? WHAT are you?"

"I'm a hedgehog, I felt like that was obvious." Sonic comments. "And i'm in big trouble."

"Oh, you think you're in trouble??? You aren't the one who punched some sort of Government weirdo back there." Tom stated in response

"You think you're worried about this whole thing??? I lost my rings!!!" Sonic snaps

"Ring?? What are you talking about???" Tom asked

"Okay, rings are how ll advanced cultures travel between worlds and now MINE are on a pointy building i've only ever seen on your skin-tight tee-shirt." Sonic said, looking right at Tom. "So I want you to take me to San Fransisco so I can get my rings back and use them to escape to the mushroom forest."

"Mushroom planet?" Tom questions

"YES!!!!" Sonic responds

Tom mumbled to himself a few times before pulling over to the side of the road ad opening the passenger door and saying, "Okay bud, out ya go."

"I'm sorry, what?" Sonic questions

"Look, this is the WORST POSSIBLE time for me to get myself into trouble, okay???" Tom responds. "You asked me to save your life, I saved your life. Now, please, go find your rings and your mushroom land and hopefully i'm gonna wake up in a bed and realize that this was all a dream, okay? So, goodbye."

However, Sonic didn't leave as he looked around confused.

"Why aren't you leaving?" Tom asked

"I don't know where San Fransisco is." Sonic said

"It's west." Tom states

"West?" Sonic asked

"Straight shot, can't miss it." Tom replied

"Okay. That' good. I'm TOTALLY COOL with saying goodbye now." Sonic comments

Sonic then bolted off in the direction the open door was aiming. Within seconds, he came running back and a random fish was on his head, lopping around.

"So, as I crashed into the cold, dark waters of the Pacific, I realized a few things. A, I have no idea where i'm going. B, Salt water stings!!!" Sonic stated. "C, I shouldn't even be on this planet right now, but I AM! Why? Because YOU shot me."

"I know." Tom commented quietly

"YOU SHOT ME!!!!!" Sonic shouted

"I heard you the first time, you don't have to.....pile it on." Tom comments. "Good grief."

"I'm wet, i'm cold, THERE'S A FISH ON MY HEAD, and clearly i'm not gonna be able to do this on my own." Sonic said

Tom looked at Sonic as the fish fell off of of his head.

"Alright, get in the truck." Tom said after some silence

"Really? You're gonna help me?" Sonic asked, shaking off the water and seaweed which caused his head quills and fur to poof up into an afro.

"I guess it is a little bit my fault that all this is happening to you." Tom responds

"Not a little bit, entirely." Sonic states in a correcting manner. "It is ENTIRELY your fault."

"Okay, it's entirely my fault." Tom comments. "You coming or not?"

"Yes." Sonic comments, drying himself off and putting his head quills back down properly and climbing into the car, putting on his seatbelt, and shutting the door. "Road trip?? Whoop-whoop!!"

"What am I doing??" Tom mutters

Later, on the drive, Tom had to set down some ground rules for the trip. After fully deciding hat they were gonna be, he had to bring them up to Sonic.

"Okay, on this trip, there's gonna be a couple of rules, alright?" Tom starts. "Rule 1, do exactly as I say the entire time."

"Got it, Doughnut Lord." Sonic said

"Would you please stop with that?? I have a name." Tom states. "It's Tom."

"Well, i'm Sonic." Sonic replies

"Sonic....Sonic...Sonic....." Tom mutters to himself. "So you've been spying on all of us for years??"

"I mean, i wouldn't really call it spying, it was more like there was a big party only I was never invited and no one knew I was there." Sonic stated

"Wow, I can't believe Crazy Carl was right all this time." Tom stated

"Yeah, you should call him Super observant Carl instead." Sonic jokingly comments

Later, at a gas station, it had gone dark and Tom parked outside and got out, putting on a cap and looked back at Sonic.

"Okay, I want you to stay in the truck for now, when I get back, we're gonna take a stop in that diner and get a meal." Tom stated before gesturing to a phone booth. "I'm gonna go check in with Wade, see what's going on."

"You're gonna see Wade in that glass thing? What is it, a teleportation box??" Sonic asked in a joking manner, knowing it wasn't a teleporting box but didn't know it was a payphone booth

"It's a payphone, mostly for drug dealers and fugitives from the law, which we happen to be." Tom replied, walking over to the payphone booth

Tom pulled out some spare money, put it into the payphone, and called up the Green Hills Police Department. Nor answering after a few seconds.

"Hi, Green Hills Police Department." Wade said on the other end of the line

"Hey, Wade, it's me, Tom." Tom started

"Hi, Tom, i'm so glad that you called." Wade started, seeming nervous. "So, some guys from Atlas came in asking some questions."

"What kind of questions?" Tom asked

"I don't know, something about arson and terrorism." Wade states in response. "I instantly told them that I have gone camping with you before. The most fire you can light is a small campfire."

Tom rolled his eyes and said, "Okay, listen, this is VERY. IMPORTANT. Do not tell them we talked, okay?"

After some silence, Wade spoke again.

"I think they already know." Wade responded

After some short muffling, Robotnik's voice came over the phone.

"Mr. Wachowski...." Robotnik said

"It's Tom.....for the love of Arceus, just call me Tom." Tom stated

"I'll have you know the only other person to punch me in the face was a school bully. He hit me in the cafeteria causing a blood-forced contusion surrounding my orbital bone." Robotnik stated. "And you know what I did in response?"

"I assume you reported him to the person running the school cause you know, that kind of behavior is really unacceptable." Tom responds

"Wrong!! I examined a deficiency in a world where braune trumped brain and used technology to resolve that deficiency. In fact, it's how I have a robotic arm." Robotnik said. "The teen ate his meals through a straw, for a year!!! And I never lost a fight again, until today."

"Well, hooray for me then." Tom said, secretly smirking

"No, because you're about to become the bully with the straw!!" Robotnik snapped in response

Tom got a bit of a concerned look on his face.

"I'm coming for you, Mr. Wachowski....and when I find you, i'll-" Robotnik started

At this exact moment, Tom immediately hung up and pressed the refund button, getting a few bits of money back before he went back to the truck to get Sonic.