𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐨: "𝐆𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫"

After my first day back at school, I exchanged my cheer uniform for my red spirit shirt that paired with my black spandex leggings and white shoes for practice. I could already feel the glare that I would receive from the squad, especially from Ruby. After all, I supposedly resigned my position as the co-captain due to my mental illness.

I love my parents, but there are some occurrences that should stay offline. For example, me being at the hospital due to malnutrition, which I believe I'm still feeling the effects from. The doctor warned me that if I kept it up, in quote, "That gorgeous blonde hair of yours will fall out if you continue to starve yourself of necessary nutrients. Plus, you wouldn't want to have those big beauty queen crowns to tug at a wig would you?" And every person in the room smiled and laughed like we were supposed to, especially my mom, acting as if she didn't inspire the idea of being thin for the sake of the pageant money awards. She always used to say, and isn't allowed to after the incident, that "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

Which is why she pushes her dieting lifestyle on both my dad and I. My mom has always made fun of my athletic physique. I've been told by her that my legs were too large, or my hips are too wide, my butt was too big, even when I told her jokingly that my body type is the latest trend. "Luckily they judge based on your face, not your body." That was back in elementary school and since then my dad has reprimanded her of that habit and has even tried to get her to see a shrink about the way she views body image. But then she goes on, and on, and on, about how that would ruin our family reputation if anyone were to see her driving or in the shrinks office.

That's besides the point. I really need to stop blabbing about my family problems. "Monroe, it's nice to see your face in the locker room again." I recognized the short woman with brown, tightly coiled hair, a warm complexion, bright green eyes, and a Greecian nose as none other than Coach Parker. "It's nice to see you again too", I said with a grin. She began to walk towards the exit of the locker room, signaling for me to follow closely behind her. "Are you excited for the first game tonight?'

"Somewhat. To be honest I think the boys might get crushed by Orangecrest on the field. I heard the football coaches have been secretly recruiting players across the country to build a 'dream team'" I said whilst placing air quotes around my statement.

"I heard about that from Johnston. But, the good news is that some of our upperclassmen already have recruiters following their every move, even for the cheer team." I held the door open for her and she quietly said "thank you" and I nodded back to say "your welcome" before exiting.

"I didn't know cheerleaders could get scholarships." Coach Parker nodded and let out a small chuckle before saying, "They surely can. I was one of those scholarship cheerleaders for four years. It doesn't even matter what school you get into. As long as they have your major I think that you should go for it." "Is that what the emails from different colleges and universities are for?"

The dark haired woman tilted her head back and forth signaling both a yes and no answer. "Sometimes it's just to cheer for their football teams. But if they request a meeting or mention the word 'scholarship' then they want you to be on their team. To recruiters, even if they offer a third of the tuition coverage, that means they want you and your cheerleading skills so badly that they'll pay for your schooling just for you to be on their team.

"Wow, that's definitely something to consider. There's just one problem with that." Parker winced back in shock after she heard what I had to say. "There's a problem with college tuition coverage?" "I know it sounds strange at first. But my parents don't want me to go to a college or university. My mom's dream is to make me the model or actress that she never got to be. Dad's plans for my future include me marrying some wealthy politician with white picket fences and me always with a baby on my hip. Just like them." Parker placed one of her perfectly manicured hands on my left shoulder before releasing me to practice with my teammates.