Chapter 2

Platform 9 ¾ looked nothing like Hermione remembered. The Ministry had sent a battalion of Aurors to patrol the station. They looked like a large swarm of angry bees, keeping a close eye on everyone. The tension in the air was palpable. Parents were barely given enough time to say goodbye to their children, before Aurors rushed them in line to board the Hogwarts Express. Ministry officials were also taking down names, making note of every student that was returning to Hogwarts.

The Ministry had launched an extensive campaign over the summer, assuring parents that Hogwarts was the safest place for their children, safer than their own homes. They had heightened security around the castle, and placed a number of enchantments, even added the Hogwarts Guard, a group of specially trained Aurors to protect the school. But despite their many promises, Hermione knew the truth. No one was safe anymore, not even at Hogwarts.

Many parents thought the same. The most skeptical had decided to send their children abroad, to foreign wizarding schools, while some students simply remained at home.

And yet, a good number had decided to return.

Hermione spotted Ron at the other end of the station, saying goodbye to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

"I'll send you a letter by owl as soon as I get to Hogwarts," said Hermione, hugging her parents. "Arling will see you home."

Upon Dumbledore's request, the Ministry had assigned an Auror to her parents, and another to Ron's family at the Burrow. As Harry's closest friends, their families ran the highest risk of kidnap and torture by Voldemort's followers. She tried not to think of the endless count of murders that were reported over the summer. She had made sure to tell her parents the truth of the situation, feeling that they deserved to know.

"We love you," Hermione's mother whispered into her ear.

Hermione hugged both her parents tightly. She didn't want to let go, but then an Auror appeared at her shoulder. "It's time to board the train now," he said.

Hermione nodded and followed him to the Hogwarts Express. She gave her name to the Ministry official at the front of the train, then climbed on board.

Ron was waiting for her inside, and as they walked down the corridor everyone started to stare.

"Think they know where Harry is?" whispered a second year Gryffindor to his brother.

"It looks like Potter left his friends behind to fend for themselves," said a Slytherin girl loudly. 

Her friends laughed.

Hermione pretended not to hear.

"Over here," said Ron, motioning Hermione into an empty compartment. He helped her with her suitcase then shut the door behind them.

"How was your summer?" asked Hermione quickly, hoping Ron wouldn't dwell on the incident in the corridor. She looked out the window, watching as her parents left the platform with Arling.

"Never had a moment of privacy," said Ron, slumping down into the seat opposite her. The Auror the Ministry assigned us was way too jumpy. "Mum was cooking in the kitchen one morning, got distracted and dropped a couple pans, and he stormed into the Burrow, wand at the ready, thinking we'd been attacked."

"Look," said Hermione, gesturing to the window. Eight of the Aurors were boarding the train, ready to escort the students to Hogwarts. The other twenty remained behind.

"Blimey," said Ron, watching them board. "Ministry sure is tightening up security, aren't they?"

Hermione nodded, and Ron looked at her, choosing his next words carefully.