Chapter 3

Getting Settled

Chapter Summary

Draco gets used to spending time alone - really its not that different to his childhood. Then one of Ron's brothers comes to visit and Draco wasn't expecting his reaction to him at all.

Ron was so shocked to find dinner sitting on the table when he got home that he didn't even speak for the first minute. Then he sat down at the table and dug in

"Wow Draco, this is amazing. Just like we used to get at Hogwarts." "Good." Draco replied happy to have done something right.

Ron got three mouthfuls down his throat before he started telling Draco about his day. Draco was again glad to hear about what was happening in the real world. It seemed an age since he'd been anywhere but the Burrow even though it was only two days. They sat around the table talking and eating for hours the conversation only flagged a few times and when Draco checked the time it was well past nine. He was quite tired after the gardening and the cooking, which had taken a lot more physical effort than he had expected, so he decided to go up for an early night. As he was saying good night he realised something.

"Ron, can you bring me one of the muggle instruction manuals please." "Instruction manual for what?" Ron asked

"Well household stuff. Like how to make plants grow and how to keep a house clean. Stuff like that."

"Okay, I'll have a look tomorrow." Ron replied slightly mystified.

===

The next day Ron was as good as his word and brought home a whole bag full of instruction manuals. Draco flicked through a couple before dinner, pleased as punch that Ron had remembered. He'd managed to make a relatively successful sausage and mash for supper and Ron had managed to eat six of the nine sausages which Draco found kind of amazing, although he tried to hide it.

Ron seemed to be watching Draco out of the corner of his eye; even though they were talking normally Draco felt an ominous presence in the room. Like there was a secret he needed to know. He didn't know how to ask though and he was frankly scared of the answer.

Ron dug into the hot fruit salad Draco had whipped up.

"Do you want a game of chess?" Ron said around a mouthful of apricot.

"If you think you can beat me." Draco replied.

They moved into the receiving room as Draco thought of it now. Ron conjured the board; of

course he set the black end in front of Draco and they began. Draco was surprised to discover that Ron was a truly gifted player. He used every trick he'd ever learnt in the Slytherin common room but still lost in an almost embarrassingly short amount of time. Ron in typical Gryffindor fashion didn't gloat just packed the set away.

"How are you finding it, being in the house all day? Are you bored?" Ron asked as they both relaxed back into their chairs. Enjoying the warmth from the fire.

"It's very quiet here." Draco replied "I don't think I've ever been so alone before."

"I noticed you cut the grass in the front garden."

"Yes, I thought it needed doing, it was looking a bit wild."

"Yes well, no-one's been here for a while." Ron said sharply and Draco felt the elephant in the room rear its head. It had to be addressed.

"Why won't your family visit here?" Draco asked quietly.

Draco felt very uncomfortable as Ron stared at him for what felt like hours.