Chapter 4

When a Dragon meets a Dragon Tamer

Chapter Summary

Draco and Ron have a couple of strained moments and Charlie always seems to be around.

Draco was glad to see the back of Harry when he left that night. He'd made appreciative noises over the roast beef Draco had cooked and had asked if maybe next weekend he could bring Ginny over. Draco had looked to Ron for an answer and Ron had agreed that would be nice. Draco had been aware of Charlie watching the exchange with an indecipherable look on his face. Later they'd all gone outside to say goodbye before Harry apparated home.

They'd come back into the kitchen and Charlie had said good bye before flooing back to Romania, as he left he said "Remember what I said" to Ron. Draco didn't ask what it meant.

They decided as neither of them needed to be up the next day they'd have one last hot chocolate and a game of chess in the receiving room. Ron was in a quiet mood as he trounced Draco yet again, although Draco did manage to put up a fairly decent defence this time.

Draco realised he had been given an insight into Ron's psyche. It seemed Ron really did love the speckie git Potter; he was in a rhythm with him. In fact the two of them together were quite hilarious; he wondered how straight laced Granger managed.

It made Draco understand how subdued Ron was actually being. He guessed it was probably to do with the history in this house; none of what Ron had told him about George would be easy to forget.

"Do you ever visit George?" Draco asked without thinking. There was a strained silence as Ron glared at Draco and then a terse No.

"Okay." Draco said immediately regretting letting his mind run away with him and tried to change the subject "What do you want for supper tomorrow?"

Ron vanished the chess board and the hot chocolate mugs and stood up before he answered. Draco felt suddenly that Ron was going to hex him and he kept very still trying not to provoke him any further and preparing a counter spell in his head. Then Ron looked ashamed and sat back down.

"I don't care. Go to bed Malfoy"

Draco felt his heart sink as he obeyed the order.

The next day he woke up to hear Ron in the garden. It was the first morning Ron hadn't brought him a cup of ginger tea in bed and he felt a feeling of dread creep over his chest. Not to mention the sea of nausea that rolled over him as he got out of bed. Draco hadn't expected Ron to be vengeful but he had been making a real effort not to piss him off and this was the first time he felt like he had. Draco guessed he didn't know him that well after all. He stumbled to the lavatory and threw up the little that was in his stomach from the night before and then he carefully descended to the kitchen.

All he could manage to stomach was a glass of water and he had to sip that very gently. He slumped down in the kitchen's comfy chair to wait for the sickness to pass.

An hour later Ron came into the kitchen looking for a drink.

"Hey, what are you doing there?" asked Ron as he poured some water into his cup.

"Waiting for the sickness to pass." Draco had to answer truthfully. He didn't notice Ron go pale as he looked at his pregnant house guest.

"Oh bloody hell, I'm sorry Draco I forgot about your tea. I just didn't sleep well and I got up really early and decided to start on the vegetable patch like you wanted. I just forgot. I'm so sorry. Do you want it now?" Ron had actually knelt in front of Draco

Draco nodded carefully and slowly not wanting to set off the dizziness again. Ron produced his regular cup which Draco began to sip feeling instantly much better.