Chapter Two

I hurried down the stone path with my phone clutched in my hand. Despite Henry's knowing gaze as I hurried off, there was nothing that could stop me from my last night of freedom.

I crossed through the courtyard, bypassing all the foot traffic, and sprinted up Alcezar's dramatic, spiraling stairs. The gothic castle reminded me of the Lycaon virus propaganda they showed us in school.

Despite the treaty, they taught us that the virus would turn you into a monster, a savage with no control. But there I was, hurrying to the west side of the castle with one thing on my mind.

And no, it wasn't world domination.

I rounded the stone corner and scanned the long, dimly lit hallway before slipping into the last door on the left.

It shut with a worrisome thud. I winced before stepping lightly through the room.

Stacks of faded papers waited on the oak desk in the corner. Although we had electricity, many of us lit candles to conserve power.

A perk of being social outcasts.

The green velvet couch took up the majority of the suite. After spending the summer propped against trees and tucked away in alleyways, the prospect of fucking on furniture was alluring.

Before I could reminisce, Gabe appeared from the adjoining bedroom.

His dark pin-straight hair hung limply over his face. The faded towel around his waist prevented my wandering gaze from taking in his whole, bare physique.

"Sorry, I just finished cleaning up."

I snickered. "I appreciate the concern for hygiene." Even though we've literally fucked in the mud.

Gabe rolled his eyes. "I have to look decent for the banquet."

"Right." While I faced the final wave, the council and their families would dine away in the Castle. I shook away the thought and plastered on a warm, convincing smile, but he didn't seem to buy it.

"Are you alright?" Gabe asked while propping himself against the door frame. From across the room, I could almost see the resemblance between him and his self-righteous father.

I stepped closer, focusing on his features. The candlelight shimmered on his luminescent golden eyes. Sometimes, I forgot our eerie enhancements.

But when I glanced in the mirror, which hung proudly on the wall, it was my glowing green eyes staring back.

Wolf blood came with a price and I would be wise not to forget.

I cleared my throat, realizing the awkward silence between us. "I just miss you, baby." The words oozed out like thick syrup.

Sarcasm had become my weapon of choice with Gabe. It was the only way to give him a modicum of humility.

He raised an eyebrow, unconvinced by my deflection but willing to let it go. "Come on, then."

He turned and left me to follow. Although my nerves churned in the pit of my stomach, the opportunity to blow off steam was too rare.

I strolled into his bedroom; the messy state left me raising my eyebrows.

Then, before I could judge fully, Gabe launched himself at me.

I swiveled on my heel in just enough time to see his effortless attack.

This was how it all started, sparring.

I stepped to the side, letting him fly to the floor. He landed on his hands and knees. Good.

"You know," I said with a smirk. "You can just kiss me."