The terrible news

Barley angrily scrunched up the paper in his hands. According to the news, by next Friday everyone will be allowed to cull any wild unicorn that is seen on sight. The paper claims that their numbers are simply too high and they are causing too many problems, not only eating from the trash but causing car crashes by trotting alongside the road. Barley was pissed off when he saw the announcement, this place was once quiet and peaceful. Long ago people used to tame some of their horned neighbours and compete in sports such as jousting and racing. This was back when the place was more of a humble little village that was placed next to a beautiful field where unicorns lived peacefully. With more houses being built there is less areas for them to gallop and certainly less grass to eat. Though they are no longer majestic and appear ratty the townsfolk were at fault for forcing them to evolve that way. The scale between them and mother nature was painfully out of balance. To hunt these poor things was insult to injury.

Feeling all the more frustrated, Barley marched his way to Colt and slammed the paper on the table he sat at. "You can't let this happen!" He snapped. Being a cop, he imagined he should have at least some say in this. "You can't just go around slaughtering these poor creatures! What has become of our sacred harmony with them?!"

Colt was a bit shocked at first but after seeing the major headline on the front page he knew very well why Barley was upset. He didn't much like the idea of having to do this either, for once he agreed with Barley but it wasn't his choice to make. "Barley, I know this is upsetting but...there is not much else we can do. They are overrunning the place and well...it's all up to the government, I have no say in this I'm afraid." He sadly sipped from his cup of coffee, he knew in his heart how saddening it was but he wasn't willing to stand up for them, to stand against the law.

Laurel then came walking in. "Hey, what's going on? You better not be at each other's throats again." She commented.

Barley grabbed the paper and pointed at it as he shoved it right into Laurel's face. Trying to inform her of the awful news as quickly as possible. "Mom! You can't let this happen!"

Laurel squinted her eyes a bit, Barley held the paper a bit too close to her face. She had to take it from him in order to get a proper reading, a frown appearing on her face. "Oh no..." she sighs a bit.

"I know you always give me a hard time for doing what is right but I mean come on! This is actual life and death for crying out loud!" Barley cried out.

Laurel can understand why her son was extra determined to stop this but she knew that no matter what she says nothing can be done. "Barley...I'm afraid there's not much we can do. You know how the government is and we all know an angry mob is going to flare up but they are not going to listen."

Colt sadly nodded his head. "She's right. If what you would call an army can't stop it then we certainly can not. Not many listen to what is right anymore but instead they look towards the solution that saves them the most money. The unicorns have been causing some damage lately so I can't say I'm surprised to see it come to this."

Barley was baffled. "But our ancestors used to ride the unicorns that lived across this land! Mushroomton used to be the village that harnesses the power of the nature around it! Look at our houses, we used to actually carve interiors into the giant mushrooms of the land! Now we just make mere models of what was once here! The grand lake of enchanted beauty is literally filled with all kinds of pollution, the lake from once were we drank from! Not to mention where all the creatures around us drank from!" Barley was going on a rant, he felt like the world around them was being destroyed which he may as well be correct. Bit by bit men have been hacking away at the beauty of nature.

Colt sighs a little bit, it is no wonder why the poor unicorns had to adapt, while most of the creatures who lived here before either died out in this particular area or move on, they were forced to try and live off of what they can. They lost their ability to take flight, many of them tend to carry diseases now too because of what they are forced to eat and drink. "Barley, I see where you are coming from. But I just can't do anything. I keep the law from being broken but I don't have any say in it. I'm sorry."

Barley angrily stormed off, he slammed the door shut behind him and made his way to his van. He needed time to cool off, time to come up with some sort of plan. He couldn't just let this go, he knew it in his heart out of everything else this was the most important thing to protect. He remembered the baby foal he saw just the other day, the idea of the mother perishing and it being left alone, or even executed as well made him sick.

Barley blared up his music really loud and drove off, he angrily gripped the steering wheel. Ian was still at school so he was yet to learn about what has happened or what is happening. While Ian wasn't fond of unicorns because of how dirty they have become Barley knew he would still understand. He had to right? But above everyone else he knew someone who would be furious, most likely even more so than he is. His animal loving girlfriend Izzy Sparklberry.

The elf drove off and stopped by at a doughnut shop, he felt like getting a bite to eat would help calm his nerves as it usually does. A delicious chocolate glazed doughnut with extra sprinkles seemed like the perfect thing to help him settle down enough to think of some solution. His usual cheerful demeanour vanished however, he had a shockingly menacing scowl on his face as he headed inside. The cashier couldn't help but stare at him a little, being able to pick up how angry he was. "Keep the change." He mumbled as he took the doughnut and also an extra large milkshake. The cashier was a bit curious about what could've happened to him but decided not to stick their nose into some customer's business. At least they were able to keep the change, for that any grumpy frown is easily brushed to the side. Barley sat inside Gwenivere, leaving the doors open so he can sit at the side and look at the sky. He didn't know what to do, he needed an army but he didn't even have one and he couldn't rally his own family. After taking some time to indulge himself with his purchase, he finally decided what may be best. Izzy was the best with animals, she had a natural gift. He was certain she would know what to do.