Chapter 4: God Eaters

(Asta's p.o.v.)

Lindow: "Before we explain, can you guys tell us why you're out here all alone?"

Me: 'thought' I was expecting him to ask that question.'

I explained that I had been exiled from my homeland, and Liebe explained how he ended up with me. They looked saddened by our tragic past.

Lenka: "I see. I'm sorry you both had to go through all that suffering."

Me: "It's fine. Honestly, leaving that hellhole was best thing that's ever happened to me."

Lindow: "So, let's change the subject before we all get too emotional."

Liebe and I nodded and Lindow began explaining about the creature we fought earlier.

Lindow: "Before we explain what that Vajra was, we should tell you that we are not from this world. As crazy as it may seem to you, it's true."

Me and Liebe were surprised, but we believed them. After all, devils come from a different world, so this wasn't anything special.

Lindow: "The world we come doesn't have any magic, it was just illusions and things that appear in fiction. We studied the natural laws and used that knowledge to create technology that could improve our daily life. Although we did have quite a lot of skirmishes among countries. But one day, a team of researchers had discovered something bizarre, a variety of tiny organisms that were named Oracle cells. Each of these cells were able think for themselves, to discover any uses for them, an organization called Fenrir was formed to further develop technology based on Oracle cells. After studying them for so long, new creatures began appearing around the world, their appearance differed greatly between them, but they all had one thing in common, they were composed Oracle cells. Militaries around the started signing contracts with Fenrir for developing weapons to counter these new life forms, because it seemed that conventional weapons had no effect on them. But these creatures had shown that they can evolve very quickly, making them even harder to kill. Like I said to you earlier, these creatures drive principle is to eat everything: people, animals, plants, they have even been seen eating buildings, our entire world is now a barren wasteland. But the curious thing about them is that they evolved to appear as organic, artificial, or even mythical. For this reason, these creatures are called Aragami, or rage of the gods. After many types of weapons that were created failed, one of the scientists who discovered Oracle cells invented the one thing that could kill Aragami. That weapon is known as God Arc, their the weapons you see us holding now."

We both looked at their weapons and had the same thought, 'So, that's why they could kill that thing, while we couldn't.'

Lindow: "However, not everyone can use them. You have to be compatible with Oracle cells first. If not, then they'll eat you alive from the inside out. Those who are compatible, can become soldiers who are trained to fight and kill Aragami. The name of these special warriors ............................ is God Eaters."

Liebe: *smile* I like that name."

Me: "Me too"

Lindow: "Well after seeing you two fight that Vajra, there's something I wanted ask, 'If you guys were compatible with Oracle cells, would you like to become God Eaters?'"

I was surprised by what Lindow asked us. Not just me, Liebe was surprised as well. We both looked at each other and turned back to Lindow.

Both: "We would!"

Lindow: *smile* alright, let's see if you're compatible." He reaches in his coat and pulled out a small box.

Liebe: "What's that?"