Ch 2: Healing

The Class 6 shrieked again as it was sucked into the ghost trap in a bright light. Once it had closed again, Ray held it up triumphantly.

"We got it!!" the cheery engineer exclaimed.

"Yeah, after using me as bait!!" Peter yelled annoyed as he was once again covered in blue ectoplasm.

"Not his fault the ghost seemed to like you more than us." Winston replied before turning to Janine, "Nice job Janine."

"Thanks Winston." the fiery receptionist replied as she removed some slime from her fiery red hair. "But I think I'm done with field work for awhile."

"Well, that'll depend on when Egon gets better and if we get anymore calls like this." Ray said as they walked down to the first floor. Once there, the manager paid them, and the four headed back to the firehall, unaware of what happened.

"I'd better see an extra zero on paycheck this month Peter." said Janine as she glared at the eccentric psychologist.

"Patience Janine, patience." Peter replied teasingly.

"She's got a point Peter, she did help us out with this one." Winston added from the driver's seat.

"Et tu, Winston?" Peter said dramatically.

"Sorry Pete." the Marine shrugged, "I just  hope Egon's doing ok."

"Yeah, me too." Ray replied.

About 15 minutes later, Ecto-1 pulled into the firehall. The four got out of the car only to find everything was a mess.

"What the hell happened here?!" Peter exclaimed.

"Did ghosts get in here somehow?" Janine asked worriedly as she raced over to her desk.

"I'm not picking up anything, so I doubt it." Ray replied scanning the air with his PKE meter.

"It looks like we've been robbed. I mean, everything's been ransacked." Winston said as he picked up various objects.

"But how did they get in?" Janine asked, "We locked all the doors, and there are no accessible windows on the first floor."

"Hey, guys!" Peter exclaimed, "This door looks like it was forced open!"

"Oh, God, I hope Egon's ok." Ray said just remembering their sick colleague.

"Yeah, Janine, go upstairs and check on him." Winston said, "Peter, Ray, and I will check the containment unit."

Janine raced upstairs to check on the sick physicist while Peter, Ray, and Winston quickly went down to the basement. The large red containment unit was quietly humming like normal and had no signs of damage. Neither did anything else. Thankfully, the robbers hadn't gone done there, so nothing was taken or touched.

"Thank God the containment unit's still in one piece." Winston said relieved.

"Although even if a robber came down here, they wouldn't be able to access the unit thanks to our trusty biometric security systems in place." Ray replied.

"True."

"C'mon, let's go call the police and tell them what happened." said Peter.

"GUYS!!!!" Janine yelled. She burst through the basement door, her face pale and her eyes wide with terror.

"What's wrong Janine?" Winston asked.

"It's Egon! He's been shot!!" Janine said panicky.

"WHAT??!!" Peter yelled, his eyes growing to the size of saucers.

"Oh God!" Ray exclaimed.

The four quickly ran upstairs into the lab. Egon was lying on the floor, unconscious, and bleeding from multiple gunshot wounds to his chest and abdomen.