Chapter Fifteen

"Hi, Mama," he said in his booming voice.

She frowned at him. "Shh. Jack's asleep."

Red glanced over at the sofa. "Well, he's going to have to wake up anyway to go back home. I offered to pick him up for Elaine since I was closer." His gaze wandered to Myrtle's kitchen table and Elaine's folder. He grimaced. "It looks like you've been reading Elaine's stories."

Myrtle gave a solemn nod. "Yes."

Red said, "What did you think?"

Myrtle gave Red a look.

"Yep. That's about what I thought, too. I was hoping one of her hobbies would be something she'd have a little talent in. And she really likes this one," said Red.

Myrtle said, "Well, I can't tell her they're terrible. But I can't tell her they're great."

"You're just too blunt." Although there was a gleam of respect in his eyes when he said it.

Myrtle sighed. "Too many years of teaching, I suppose. I'll have to come up with something that will satisfy me to say and won't completely upset Elaine."

"I'm sure you'll be able to." Red walked over and picked Jack up in one swoop. Jack didn't even stir. He shook his head. "He's really out. I thought for sure he'd wake up when I picked him up. I've got to get going since I have another stop to make tonight."

"Do you?" asked Myrtle, sounding innocent.

"Just have to run by Tallulah Porter's house. She wanted to see me about something," said Red.

"Something to do with the case?" asked Myrtle, remembering Tallulah's desire to speak with Red at Lillian's funeral.

Red snorted. "Knowing Miz Porter, it'll have something more to do with neighborhood kids trampling through her yard or a problem with one of the neighbors being too loud at night. She's a complainer, that one."

"How's the case going?" asked Myrtle in a very offhanded way.

Red narrowed his eyes. "It's going just fine. Keep out of it, Mama."

Myrtle blinked at him. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Everywhere I've gone lately and everyone I've spoken with in conjunction with the case has said the same thing: 'I've seen your mama today. She's looking so good!'" He looked sternly at Myrtle.

"Well, it's certainly nice to be told I'm looking good," said Myrtle complacently.

"The point is that you're very close to talking with all of the same people I'm talking to."

Myrtle said, "Only because Miles and I needed to deliver sympathy casseroles to Lillian's family. We were in garden club together, Red."

"And Rowan Blaine?" Red knit his eyebrows.

"Tippy wanted me to check on the catering for the garden club auction. You and Elaine have a conflict, correct? I haven't had your RSVP yet."

Red ignored the attempt to sidetrack him. "And Bianca Lloyd?"

"Someone had to make sure we were still getting our flower arrangements for the auction," said Myrtle, looking displeased. "Really, Red, you do go on and on."

He briefly closed his eyes. Then he said, "Do you need me to do some yard work for you?"

"I have Dusty for that."

"Yes, but clearly Dusty hasn't been by. The grass is getting pretty tall, even though we haven't had rain. And it's supposed to rain tonight. What's going on with Dusty?" asked Red.