Chapter Seventeen

The next morning, Myrtle called Tippy. "How is the auction coming together?"

Tippy sounded a bit distracted. "I was so organized with it. But suddenly, there are a million things to do." Her voice turned hopeful. "You don't happen to know what Miles's day looks like today, do you? We could use a bit of muscle."

Myrtle crossed her fingers and said, "I happen to know Miles has nothing important on his schedule later today. He and I would love to come over to the venue and help set up." She paused. "Do you know when the caterer and florist will be arriving? Maybe that would be a good time for us to be there."

Tippy said, "Bianca will be here with the flowers around 5:00. Rowan should be here with the food around the same time. And thanks, Myrtle. You've been a real lifesaver for this event. Thank Miles for me, too."

Myrtle hung up the phone and beamed. She immediately called Miles. "We have a plan for the day."

"I thought we already had a plan for the day. The silent auction is at 6:30 this evening, right?" Miles's voice did not reflect enthusiasm for the auction.

"Yes, but Tippy needs more help. She said she needed muscle."

Miles groaned. "I never should have joined this club. What kind of muscles do they think I have? I worked in an office my entire life."

"Apparently, they think your muscles are better developed than their own, a notion I entirely agree with. Besides, it will give us an opportunity to speak with Rowan and Bianca. They'll both be there around 5:00 to set up."

Miles said, "They'll be busy with their food and flowers. They won't want to speak with us."

"I think they will. After all, we know more about Tallulah's death than almost anybody. They must be curious. I think they'll make time to talk to us."

"All right." Miles's voice was defeated. "But let's have a quiet day up until that point. I want to work my crossword and read the new book Carolyn found for me. And gather my strength for whatever show of power is required of me this evening."

Miles may have had a quiet day until they left for the auction. But Myrtle was a whirlwind of activity and restlessness. Because she was stuck at home, she took a walk. Pasha spotted her and walked along with her, glaring at neighbors who considered coming up to chat with Myrtle. When they got back home, Myrtle fed the feral cat. She promptly gobbled up the cat food, took a vigorous bath, and then fell into a deep sleep.

While Pasha slept, Myrtle thought she'd read her book. But as she read, she kept glancing around her living room and noticing dust, dust bunnies under the furniture, and the fact the entire room could use a good vacuuming. A vacuuming that had been interrupted the last time. That Puddin. She picked up her phone and proceeded to have another annoying conversation with Puddin. By the end of it, however, Puddin had reluctantly acquiesced to coming over to clean the following day.

Then Elaine called as soon as Myrtle had hung up the phone.

"Thanks again for watching Jack for me. I got so much done while he was there."

"It was no trouble at all. He was a perfect angel, the way he always is." Myrtle said this rather smugly. Jack was always very good with her, but she was aware this wasn't always the case for Elaine.

"Do you have a minute? I know the auction is tonight."

"I'm actually at loose ends right now, as a matter of fact."

"Did you have a chance to read my stories?" asked Elaine eagerly.

Myrtle had been considering her answer to this question. She didn't like to lie. "Elaine, the stories were edited perfectly. You did a remarkable job. I didn't see a single typo." This was the truth.