Chapter 1: Our Encounter

They say the early bird catches the worm. An old saying that means someone will have an advantage if they do something immediately, or before other people do it.

But most seem to forget about the early worm.

The world is cruel and unfair. Your life, depending on if you're the bird or the worm, will either be hard and full of challenges or easy and full of riches.

It may seem unfair but that's just how we humans conditioned it to be. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

The world may seem biassed and arbitrary, but the universe is not.

And due to your Buddhist grandfather, you've been taught from a very young age how karma and universal equality work.

Anyone and everyone go through some form of challenge.

You are not the only one. There are countless people and animals out there, suffering and struggling. Most suffer even more than the rest.

You were taught always to be grateful for what you have now for there are others who are not so fortunate as you. There are others who are willing to kill just to get a bite to eat. Willing to commit crimes to quench their thirst.

But unlike them, you are fortunate, sure there are a couple of things you would like to change but it's not that bad if you compare it to others.

You're probably just overreacting... yeah

That's probably it.

6:35 AM.

"The entrance ceremony won't start till 9. Guess I have enough time to spare." Walking out of the train station, you begin your way towards the Ley Line station.

The city of Blytonbury was a charming, peaceful little place. Children playing around, parents chatting, and the elderly enjoying the weather. Most either waving or greeting you as you walk by. Not wanting to seem rude, you greet them back and continue on your journey.

After 10 or so minutes of walking, you see it.

An old tower-like building with a notably big tree growing on top of it. How did it get like that, you may ask?

No clue.

Getting up the stairs, you walk into the overgrown building. Nothing inside, completely empty, in and out both taken over by roots and plants. But as you look up, you're in awe.

High up, near the ceiling, a rift of different shades of green. As beautiful and mesmarising as it seems, that arose a challenge.

"... how am I supposed to get up there?" You tilt your head and look at the roots and vines, "Am I supposed to climb?"

"I would advise against that." A girl walked in behind you.

You turn and look at her, "That uniform... are you a student of Luna Nova?"

"Yes, I am. My name is Diana Cavendish." She introduces herself, "And who might you be?"

"Oh, right." You clear your throat and gave your hand for her to shake, "I'm Y/n, Y/n Proctor, I'm a new transfer student at Luna Nova. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Cavendish."

She sends you a polite smile and shook hands, "Likewise, and please, call me Diana. I hope your journey here to our school was satisfactory."

"A bit of jet lag here and there but other than that it was a smooth ride. " You let go of her hand and took a small step back.

"I hate to be a bother but... if it isn't too much to ask, could I tag along?" Bashfully rubbing the back of your neck, you vaguely gesture to yourself, "As you can see, I don't have a broom to ride on. And even if I did, I don't know how to."

"It's quite alright, I don't mind. But if I may ask. Are you not a descendant of one of the Nine Olde Witches, like I?" She quirked an eyebrow, "I'm positive that one of the Nines founded the Proctor family."

You let out a sheepish giggle, "Yeah, I am." Your expression darkened a bit, "My mother married into my father's family so that sort of ended the Proctor family, so growing up, I never really knew anything about witchcraft and magic."

Diana hums in thought. "I see, but judging how you introduced yourself, would I be wrong to assume that you'll be continuing the Proctor family?"

"Yes, you're right. After my parents' divorce, I cut all ties with him and his side of the family. That man hurt my mother in more ways than one." You question why you're even telling her this, with a chuckle, you redirect the conversation, "You must be disappointed. To meet a fellow descendent of the great Nine Olde witches just to learn that they can't even cast the simplest spells like flying."

Diana shakes her head, disagreeing, "Believe me, I'm far from disappointed. Honestly, I'm glad, it also seems that we have quite a bit in common." She walked towards you and place a hand on your shoulder, "And don't fret over your magical abilities, we have one of the greatest instructors and professors here at Luna Nova, they'll help you every step of the way till you become an exceptional witch. And if this will help ease your heart, I'll be here whenever you need support or simply someone you need or wish to talk to."

You move your hand and place it gently over Diana's. "Thank you, Diana. That meant a lot."

The two of you just look at one another with a smile and keep eye contact. Standing in utter silence before Diana cleared her throat and turned her head.

"Well, it's about time we start making our way to the school. We do not wish to be late, now do we?" The last part didn't sound like a question, more like a statement.

You noticed how the tips of her ears had turned red and couldn't help but smile. '... cute'

Maybe coming here was a good idea.