Chapter 1

*MENTIONS OF ABUSE*

Today was a miserable day for Sarah Lancaster. It was miserable for one reason, her boyfriend. Sarah's boyfriend constantly abused her, yet no one ever seemed to know. If they did notice they didn't care enough to say anything. Anyone she told automatically assumed she was lying. Why would the boy with the brightest future ruin that future for the social outcast?

"Clean this up, now," said her abusive boyfriend, Billy. He had thrown his trash on the floor and expected Sarah to clean it up.

Sarah however, was getting sick of the treatment her boyfriend was giving her. She stood completely still, not moving. Even when Billy slapped her in the face she still refused to move; she only began to cry.

"Be a crybaby then. I'll deal with you later."

She slid down the wall onto the floor and let her tears go. If she left him he would kill her family, or so he said. Deep down, Sarah knew he was lying. The one time she called his bluff he locked her in his basement and beat her relentlessly. Sarah couldn't take that again. She didn't have very long to cry though. Sarah had to get to work. If she was going to leave him, she needed the financial capability to leave him. Her parents might not support her decision, though she prayed they would.

Since Sarah was on spring break, she decided she would break up with Billy. He had been abusive for long enough and Sarah was sick of it. She needed a job, so she started working at the Museum of Natural History as the assistant night guard.

*Time skip*

Sarah left her boyfriend's house; her lip bleeding from his punches. She would later blame this on the front door of his house. Sarah walked up to the night guard, clearing her throat to make herself known.

"Sarah?"

"Larry?"

Larry Daley had been a family friend and Sarah was happy to see that he was working there. He always had schemes that never worked out. It was good he finally decided to settle down.

"Listen, everything in this museum comes to life at night."

"Oh sure, like that toy fairy, you got me for my fourth birthday. And yes, I remember that," Sarah said, smiling as she recalled the memory.

"You're the assistant night guard, right?"

Sarah wondered why he would be asking that, but she nodded. Why else would she go to a museum in the middle of the night?

"Why don't you go to Ahk's tomb, he's been wanting to talk to more people."

"I'm sorry," she said, shocked, "you're actually serious?" Larry nodded.

Sarah looked at the exhibits around her as she mindlessly walked to Ahk's tomb. Just as she stepped into the tomb, Ahkmenrah stepped out. The two collided and started apologizing, "My apologies," and, "I wasn't paying attention; I'm so sorry!" Once the two made eye contact they blushed and stopped talking.

Ahk felt he should introduce himself, so he did.

"I am Ahkmenrah, fourth king of the fourth kings, ruler over the land of my father's," He began, " it's a pleasure to meet you. May I also mention you are very beautiful," He kissed Sarah's hand as he said this; making Sarah feel faint.

"I- I'm Sarah Lan- Lancaster." Sarah was bewildered.

"And may I ask what you're doing here?"

"I'm, um, the assistant night guard." Sarah was surprised she didn't stutter. In fact, she sounded confident. Usually she wouldn't talk to strangers. She never knew if she could trust them.

"Well, I'll leave you to explore then," As he started to walk away, Ahk began to feel disappointed. The thing was, he didn't know why. Why was this girl making him like this?

"If you don't mind, I'd love to talk for a bit..." Sarah trailed off.

Ahk nodded, taking her hand and leading them into his tomb. That night they two talked about nothing but their lives. Sarah's work was long forgotten, and Ahk's feelings were changing every minute. The two hardly noticed the sun begin to rise.

"Until tonight, Sarah.," Ahk said, kissing her hand one last time. For some reason, he couldn't get enough of her voice and of her touch. Her hands were rough and had many scars, but Ahk felt as if he could trace every single one of them.

"Until tonight, Ahk." Sarah blushed. She didn't know how to react when Ahk never released her hand.

After a few moments of eye contact they both began to lean in, that is, until Teddy rode by and walked Sarah to the doors of the museum. She reluctantly left, and realized that Ahk slid a bracelet onto her wrist. It resembled a snake wrapping around her wrist. She admired it as she took it off and stuffed it into her purse. If Billy found out he would hurt Ahk; a price that Sarah would not pay.

When Sarah arrived to her parents house, her parents questioned her about her new job. They then informed her that Billy had went away for the next three days. This meant that Sarah could see Ahk on the days she didn't have to work. Was this a coincidence? It couldn't be. Maybe she was meant to be with Ahk.