how to tell you this

May 8th, 2013. Eight years ago.

Wednesday.

Wednesday Wednesday Wednesday.

I loved Wednesdays before, but today was different. We felt different.

Band rehearsal was canceled last week, so I hadn't seen Harry outside of school since last Wednesday, and I'd been jumping up and down inside waiting for it all week.

"Hi." Harry's giddy smile matched mine when he opened the door.

"Hi." I knew I was blushing.

I felt it had to be a dream. In no actual reality did Harry kiss me and want me and smile like that at me. Except for this one. But his mom was making noise in the kitchen, reminding me we were real and today was finally here.

"Do you wanna come downstairs?" He glanced at the doorway that the sound came from and then back at me. I nodded.

We sat in our usual spots on the basement couch, but this was anything but usual. The air felt different, the mood felt different, and the way he looked at me felt different.

He waited for me to sit before he scooted himself closer until our legs almost touched. "I missed you."

"I saw you at school today," I laughed.

"Yeah," he sighed, "but that's different."

"Is it?" I asked, and Harry's hand fell to my knee to pull it closer to his.

"Yeah."

My heart rate doubled, and I tried swallowing through how dry my throat had gone. "I missed you, too."

Harry lifted his hand, and my leg felt cold. "Really?" He sounded smug.

I narrowed my eyes. "Yeah. I did."

He looked around the room with an innocent grin. "What about me did you miss the most?" He cheesed, not-so-subtly pursing his lips. I scoffed, wacking his arm beside me while he laughed. "I'm kidding!" Harry's arms came around me in a hug, tugging my body closer. "How was your day, Dorothea?" His face came close to mine, and I could feel his breath when he spoke.

"It was good. Better now."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Had an algebra test that I think Niall cheated off of me in, but I suck at math, so the jokes on hi--"

Harry's lips on mine suddenly and his hand behind my neck halted my words. I gasped into the kiss as we puzzled together, but he stopped quickly, pulling away just enough to speak. "Sorry. I just couldn't wait anymore."

I shook my head, skipping words and going back to mesh my lips with his again. His hands gripped at the sides of my neck, and he tilted his head just enough to take the lead.

I had been thinking about kissing Harry again for a week now. I daydreamed about it-- his lips and his hands and his smile afterward. I thought about how his chest moved up and down so fast with my hand against it, and how our fingers fit together while we trampled through the rain without a care in the world other than for each other.

I was ruined.

"I swear I had other plans for today that weren't just making out with you," Harry said, pulling away to catch his breath.

"Yeah? Like what?" I could feel the heat on my cheeks.

He tucked one of his swollen lips between his teeth. "Like... watching a movie and then probably... making out later."

I tossed my head back in a laugh. "Well, what movie did you have in mind?"

We ended up on the floor, as usual, Iron Man 2 spinning in the DVD player and our hands dancing between us. I had goosebumps that I was hoping he couldn't see on my arms and legs as his fingers ran over the palm of my hand.