03. PRETENDING TO BE STRANGERS

╰─➛ PRETENDING TO

╰─➛ PRETENDING TO

BE STRANGERS !

° In a way, we all wear a
mask, we all pretend. But
when you pretended to not
know me, I had never wished
harder for a mask to fall. 〞

CRUEL SUMMER ( t.s )

TONY

wasn't the only person taken aback by Moniques impromptu act. Both Louise and Jamie shared a confused look momentarily, but Louise knew better than to question her best friend and boss, quickly covering any confusion that was evident in her features. Jamie, however, did not know better and made his confusion very clear.

"But, wait... isn't this-"

"Jamie! My cousin, he's also a huge fan, don't mind him." Monique didn't let her warm smile falter for a moment as she corrected Jamie's mistake. Tony raised an eyebrow at this for a moment and cursed the dreaded butterflies that were swarming his stomach as he continued to stare at Monique's smile. His eyes went over every single line again and again, admiring the way her lips managed to cover her teeth so perfectly and loving the way it suited her face shape. He hated himself for not remembering every single feature of it and he didn't want to forget it for even a second.

He could feel his cheeks go warm as his eyes refused to leave her lips, his mind plagued with the things those very same lips had once done. Except, they hadn't. At least, she was pretending they hadn't. To as why, Tony couldn't quite tell at this moment in time. So, without a second thought, he outstretched his hand, returning the warm smile and cheery tone.

"Ms Campbell, was it? Great to meet you too. I'd say I've heard excellent things about you, but this is the first time I've heard of you actually." If Monique was going to pretend to be new, then Tony was going to treat her that way.

Her eyes widened a little at this sudden statement, but her smile didn't change. Instead a small nervous laugh erupted from her throat as she bit back a retort.

"Well, I'm not surprised. You may have heard of my father though, Andrew Campbell? It's actually his company, I'm just taking it over now that he's dead. You would know what that's like, right?" The bluntness of her reply didn't match the sweet tone she was able to maintain as the words slipped from those very same lips Tony was fantasising about moments earlier. Happy coughed a little at her final question, earning a glance from everyone in the room.

Tony nodded a little, his tongue pressing up against the inside of his cheek. His smile also didn't move a fraction, almost as if the stiffness and awkwardness both Monique and Tony were emitting were like two auras trying to size the other one up.