day 6

Should I scream? What if it attacks me if I scream? I decide against it. I have a theory about these creatures, and even if it's wrong, it's a theory. Slowly, I cup my hand over my mouth, muffling my breathing. The creature relaxes a bit, and eases away from me. That's interesting. It takes several minutes, but it walks away on all four of its deformed, clawed hands.

But I make a mistake. As the thing walks away, I make a noise. I sigh.

It snaps its head back almost immediately. I fucked up. I can't just shut my mouth and be quiet now. The thing is crawling back towards me, and fast. The only option I have is to run.

Trying to make as little noise as possible—and trying to suppress my tears—I take off running back in the direction of the main area. It hears me loud and clear now, and chases after me the second I run away. Austin told me it takes ten minutes to get to the main area if you walk. If I'm running, it has to take less, right? Maybe five? Three? Maybe it—

I feel it grab my left arm. I know it does because its claws immediately sink into my skin through my sleeve. And it hurts. Holy shit, it hurts.

I almost cover my mouth, but so what? The thing is already ripping my skin off. "Help! Austin! Please, I'm sorry! Help me!"

It's no use. I can see him in the distance, huddled against the bed. I made him cry. Did I have to say all of that to him? Will I ever get to apologize?

The creature pushes me to the ground and tries to claw my face, but I kick it away and attempt to get it off of me. When I push my hands down to at least sit up, I feel lightheaded and nauseous. Right, my arm.

Suddenly desperate, I call out again. "Austin, help me! Please do something!" The pain in my arm hurts too much to keep yelling anything competent, and I just sob as I try to get this stupid monster away from me. Why is it even here?

My eyes start fluttering closed, and it's hard to stay conscious. Austin's not going to help me. I'm going to die here. Without ever saying sorry to him. I feel so horrible now. I can't believe I said that stuff to him.

The creature raises its hand to claw at my face, but it suddenly pauses and tilts its head oddly. Just as it lifts its head up, something smacks it in the face and it falls backward several feet.

Austin.