Chapter 3

The clopping of horses pierced through the silence of the lush green grasslands of Aryavart

The clopping of horses pierced through the silence of the lush green grasslands of Aryavart. The deers hid in the bushes hearing the commotion of a swarm of people and horses. A series of chariots moved forward to their desination. The wheels of some having a hard time to rotate because of the pile of trunks and bundles of things on them. Soldiers followed with alert steps, being cautious of any danger lurking around the area.

Kathyayini peeked out of her palanquin siding the thin velvet curtain to get a glimpse of nature in it's true form. The green carpet of nature seemed soothing to the eyes, the blue sky seemed wide spread to fly high but only the one out knew the thorns that came within, the scorching heat that came along. She inquired about the remaining distance and pulled the curtain back, resting her head on the wall of palanquin.

"Pitashri, I'm confused." Vijaya spoke out of nowhere while adjusting the hair of her doll.

"About what putri?" Her father asked, adjusting her on his lap gently.

"You said that my mata Madri is married to Maharaj Pandu of Hastinapur that is big kingdom. Then why are we going into this deep forest?" Dyutimata's smile faltered for a second. He didn't know how to answer this question to his innocent daughter.

Should he tell the truth but isn't she too young for it?

At the same time he felt it was right to tell his daughter the truth because it was important for her to learn the truth, it was important for her to learn what life is.

"He is repenting his mistakes putri." He answered as they neared the forest. Everyone could now notice the farms with vegetation that was taken care of. The fields were divided into segments to grow different fruits, vegetables and grains marking that someone lived near this place and has been working on the farms regularly.

"What mistake? Did he also break a flower pot his father got for his mother? Is he here to make a same flower pot for her mother?" Vijaya asked about the only big mistake her mind could think of. Dyutimata laughed merrily throwing his head back as the charioteer suppressed a giggle at their princess' naivety.

"No putri. It was a big mistake. He killed a dear for no reason. He committed a sin by killing an innocent animal for his leisure. For this mistake, he decided to repent his mistake and live a simple life here in forest with his family." Vijaya went mute after hearing that.

For a few minutes she didn't utter a word. Her hand movement stopped on her doll's hair as she went deep into thought. Dyutimata assumed that for her, the definition of mistake changed. Or maybe he now considers Maharaj Pandu a man with no heart. It was time for him to clear that people make mistakes and one mistake did not make them a bad person. Before he could say a word, Vijaya jumped in front of him and he held her firmly by her shoulder to prevent her from falling.

"He is such a nice man pitashree! So noble. Everyone is so right about him. He is a great man." Her declaration left Dyutimata speechless on how his daughter came to this conclusion.

"How so putri?"

"He is so kind pitashree. He felt bad for killing an innocent animal. Meanwhile, all kings and nobles kill animals for their leisure. They never feel bad or feel like repenting those mistakes. I have heard the handmaidens talk how the neighbor king killed a tiger. But he didn't feel bad for killing it. Maharaj Pandu felt bad and left his kingdom. Even you didn't when you killed that wolf." she stated and Dyutimata sat frozen on his place.

It was impossible for him to decipher how his daughter, who is so young to understand the worldy tactics gave such a lesson to him. It showed that she was smart yet a kind soul who thought about everyone but with vision much broader than anyone could think.

He came out of his shock as the chariot came to a halt. Vijaya excitedly jumped off the chariot without waiting for her father and ran to where Chandrika was waiting for her. He adjusted his angvastra and crown before regaining his posture and descending the chariot. Kathyayini was by his side immediately.

"What did the father teach his daughter this time?" she asked knowing how they the duo can chat non stop for hours.

"No Kathyayini. This time she taught me something. A great lesson."

"She did? Maharaj it looks like the opium still has it's effect on you." Kathyayini chuckled at her own joke but quietened down as her husband didn't react.

"No Kathyayini. She is a gem. Far from the pride we are immersed in. She is ahead of us, way ahead. Her soul is pure. She has the ability to judge, assess at a very young age. She need not learn that. It is natural to her. My only prayer to Narayan is that she stays away from the fake pride and valour we are drowned in and sticks to her conscience all her life." Kathyayini didn't know what to say or how to react.

She was utterly confused what her husband was talking about. She wanted to question but stopped as she noticed Maharaj Pandu dressed in a simple orange dhoti and ocher angvastram apporaching them with a smile on his place. His usual gold and pearl necklaces now replaced by rudraksh and tulsi. Following him were his two wives dresses in plain ocher sarees and rudraksh. The only jewelry they had on was their chudamani. The three of them beemed at the couple as Dyutimata greeted them.

"Maharaj Pandu, accept my greetings. I greet you on behalf of the entire kingdom of Madra." Dyutimata joined his hands and bowed his head. Maharaj Pandu held him by his shoulders and smiled.

"Cut with the formalities Dyutimata. We are a family. I'm not a king anyways." He patted his shoulder as the ladies hugged each other.

"You are Maharaj. Will always be for us no matter if you are ruling or not." Dyutimata stated with utmost respect and sincere smile that Pandu couldn't refuse him longer. He just smiled and nodded slightly.

Pandu's gaze fell on the little girl standing patiently behind her father. He smiled at her and gestured her to come forward. Vijaya, with slow and small steps came forward and greeted Maharaj Pandu with her hands joined.

"Pranam Maharaj Pandu. I am Vijaya, the princess of Madra. It's an honor to meet you." Maharaj Pandu couldn't help but smile brightly at the princess' politeness and her manners. It showed that she was indeed a princess who knew how to carry herself with respect and honor at a young age.

"Greetings putri. It's my honor to meet you as well." He kept a hand on her head blessing her for a long and successful life.

Maharaj Pandu moved aside and as on queue, Madri rushed to take blessings from her brother and hugged him. They both greeted each other and exchanged basic pleasantries before Madri bent to hug her niece. Kunti and Kathyayani watched the entire scene with a smile.

"Oh how much have you grown Jaya. You look so beautiful." Madri praised and the little girl giggled shyly thanking Madri for the compliments.

They all were about to enter the house when the pandavas walked towards them with the collected stuff for the day.

"There they are, our sons."

The pandavas greeted their guests with respect and all of them walked inside.