Chapter 2.1

My Own Robinson

Despite coming from a lower-class family, I don't have much experience doing any labor work. This may be because of many reasons, but I have definitely embarrassed myself in front of Serenna after not being able to pluck berries properly. I wanted to help but I couldn't, so after some time she had decided to make me pick some other fruit from a tree she could not reach, "Let's make at least some use of you," she had said while explaining that she did not enjoy climbing trees very much. I could do that, at least, and after a short while, we had her basket full of freshly picked fruit. I had offered to carry it back, which she refused, of course, but I got her to let me do it after a bit of persuasion.

"We need water, so let's just get that and we can go back," picking up the jug, we started walking again. I had followed her like a lost puppy once more, the whole picture not being that funny anymore since I've gotten used to it by now, hopefully, her, too. I got the chance to look around the island, yet I couldn't afford to glance around at all times since I've stumbled over my own feet several times and the last thing we want, or at least I want, is to fall down and not only hurt myself but also spill all the delicious looking fruit from the basket. I could be the reason why we both die of hunger. Or something similar to that. Even if I secretly decided to gather the food back, I wouldn't be able to since I'm incapable of doing so and I can't even hunt.

... are there even animals here? We haven't come across a single form of life other than us. And the plants or water don't count if that's one of your problems.

"Are there any animals here?" I couldn't help but speak out my thoughts, my head now too full of the idea I've come across and too interested to just let it go.

"Yes, there are! Just not in this part. I wouldn't recommend going too deep into the forest, though, as there are some very dangerous species," nodding my head I tried to look in front of me and watch my step to avoid any injuries. This, just a little later, proved to be impossible as my foot caught onto some loose piece of a tree root sticking out from the ground. My upper body moved while my legs didn't and before I knew it, I was falling to the ground. Catching myself in the last second I stood my ground but I couldn't help the sharp breathing and fast beating of my heart all caused by the short moment of panic I've just, somehow, lived through. Giving myself a little mental shoulder pat for support, I looked to the front just to check if Serenna saw.

"What," came out as a response to not seeing anyone. I stopped together with the whole world around me. My legs got stiff and I could suddenly hear every little sound. My eyes checked every single corner of the place I was standing in, yet none of them included a short girl wearing a blue flower-patterned dress. What now? I will die after all. I mean, I'd survive for a little with all the fruit I'm carrying yet that will not be enough, especially for someone my size and nutrition needs. Goodness.

"AZON!" came from the right. My head automatically turned in the direction of the voice but I still couldn't move and didn't see Serenna at all. It did sound like her, though, so I should be able to do something to let myself be known and especially my whereabouts.

"Here!" I yelled back, hoping that my voice is heard despite the low sound that had come out of me. I was slowly losing control over my body so I just started praying to whoever is up there.

"Azon, thank god!" Serenna came out from behind one of the bushes and ran to my side. The jug she was carrying was now full of water and I could see her struggling to hold it. It was probably heavy for her. I tried to respond but nothing came out, just a struggling breath. Extending my hand, I took the jug out of her hands, attempted to give a reassuring smile, and pushed her a little, to my abilities while having my hands full, to motion her to move forward. She wanted to say something but decided against it and started walking.

+more in chapter 2.2+