Chapter Eighteen

"Carlotta," Alex yelled.

" Yeah?"

"Where you at?" Artemis asked.

"I'm here." She called from her wig room.

"We never get to come in here," Alex said as they walked in.

"It's cool." Artemis and Simone said at the same time.

"It's like Lord of the Wigs in here," Alex said making Artemis laugh.

"Shut up. See, that's why this room is off-limits." She told her making Alex laugh.

"Miss C, what is you and Miss Bruce's obsession with wigs all about?" Simone asked her.

"It's not a wig obsession. It's an attitude. A lifestyle." She told them.

"Okay."

She picked up a short pink wig. "See, this girl right here, she's telling you, "I'm mellow. I'm-I'm just relaxed. Everything is all good." She told them before picking up another.

"But this one right here..." a short blue curly wig making them laugh.

"Mm."

"She's like, "I'm feeling myself."

"Uh-huh."

"I'm ready to hit the club, get my groove on. See what's going on out there." She said making them laugh.

"Looks like you haven't worn that one in a while," Simone told her.

"Yeah, you right. Give it to Miss Bruce for a makeover." She said handing Simone the wig.

"And, uh, what about this one?" Artemis asked as she held up a short curly wig with green in the front and black in the back.

"Scare the hell out of a bitch." She told her

"I can tell." She said handing it to her.

"Come on, who coming for you wearing this?"

" Not I." Alex said as Star kept laughing.

"Not one person," Artemis told her laughing.

"Little bouncy," Simone said as she put the blue wig on, and Artemis put on the pink wig.

"Y'all, know we got to be on point for this meeting, right?" Miss Carlotta told them getting serious.

"Yeah, we know," Star told her.

"Do you? I mean, when is the last time you had to impress a label head?" Miss Carlotta asked them.

"This is an out-of-date conversation because labels are old-school. That's not what people care about anymore; it's about views and uploads and likes on the Internet. The music game is changing." Star told her.

"It ain't changing that quick. You still got to play the game. Ayanna Floyd ain't no joke, so just follow my lead in there."

"Yes, ma'am," Star said.

"Carlotta, how's it feel being on the other side of things now?" Alex asked her as Miss Carlotta put her wig on.

"Feels good." She told them as she looked in the mirror making the girls smile.

......