Chapter 20

Handing Maul his plate of food, Nima smiled at him.
“Thank you for all of this,” she said. “I know I’ve thanked you before, but this is beyond what I ever expected.”
“You just wanted to escape.”
“Yeah, I did,” Nima said, nodding as she started eating her own food from the pan on the floor in front of her. They still only had one plate. “And you gave me so much more, all for nothing basically, so thank you.”
“You cook,” said Maul. “You always cook me food and I am not alone. I was used to being alone, I liked it, and then...”

Nima stopped eating and looked at him, furrowing her brow.
“And then?” she prompted.
“And then, I realised that you weren’t annoying, that I liked hearing your questions,” said Maul. “That I like being with you. I thought you were a distraction, but if anything, you have given me more reasons to eliminate the Jedi.”

“What?” she asked. “How?” He finished the bit of food he was eating before speaking.
“You’ve shown me that the Jedi’s system does not work, even more so. Not only do they limit themselves by denying their anger and desires, but they ignore the parts of the universe that don't suit them.” Maul looked furious as he picked up some of the meat on his plate. “The Jedi do not care about slaves, they will even support it if it suits their needs. Only when someone speaks up do they give a weak impression of them caring about ending it.”
“I didn’t realise that I-”

A beeping noise interrupted her and she closed her mouth. While Nima looked around for the source, Maul quickly grabbed a holotransmitter from next to his lightsaber, both of which rested upon his folded cloak.
“Stay in here,” he said as he grabbed it. She’d seen him move quickly, but he never rushed like he did as he moved towards the door. Picking at her food, she sat on the floor, cross-legged as usual.

“Master.”

Nima looked towards the door. Master. Who was his master? Carefully, she left her plate of food and walked towards the door, trying not to make any sound.

“You are needed,” croaked a strange voice, “by my side during this meeting. You should not need to attack anyone, but a little intimidation will give us the advantage.”
“Yes, Master,” said Maul. “When will I be needed?”
“Two days time, on Eriadu. I will send you the precise location now, I expect you to arrive tomorrow.”
“Yes, Master.”
“This will bring us one step closer to making the Jedi fall, Maul. And then each and every one will be slaughtered in time.”
“I look forward to those days, Master.”
“Good, good.” The voice was sinister and Nima resisted shivering.

The conversation had stopped and Nima moved back to where she had been sitting and quickly started eating again. She was half way through a bite when Maul walked back in. He sat on the stool without saying a word, and stared at his own food.

“What was that about?” Nima asked.
“I knew you were listening,” he said quietly.
“You have to leave,” she said, frowning. She didn’t like him leaving for so long last time. “You were talking to your…” It didn’t feel right saying the word, not any more.
“Yes, I will leave tomorrow afternoon, I don’t know exactly how long for.”
“I figured you’d say that,” she said, not sure why she was so upset at him leaving. She didn’t want to be alone, but it seemed a bit more than that. Maul’s gaze met her own and he looked away.

“It likely won’t be for long,” he said. “And you will be fine here.”
“I suppose I will,” said Nima. But she didn’t want to be alone. “I can continue practising.” Maul nodded. He started eating again and Nima frowned as she looked down at her food.
“I will bring you something,” he said. “It seems like it’s something I do every time. Is there anything you would like?”
“Surprise me,” she said. “There's nothing I desperately need, I have clothes and food and shelter, so surprise me with something you'd think I'd like.” Maul nodded.
“I shall try