2: Hallucination

General-four's fingertips slid across her lightscreen with quick strokes. She glanced up from her work, motioning Pelin to sit close.

Pelin didn't understand why she'd been sent to the General's complex. She should have been in Medical. 301 was probably terrified. Alone. In pain. The thought breached Pelin's skull and burrowed into her brain: 301 was probably dead.

She should have refused to leave the scouter until 301 was taken to Medical. She should have insisted on accompanying her navigator. Myriad should haves piled up, waiting their turn to be dissected.

"You look pale, 251." General-four waved over the officer stood at the wall. "322? Fetch Agent 251 a glass of water."

"I'm fine, Madame."

Pelin gestured to the officer to stand at ease before she could scuttle away into the innards of the complex to fetch water. A confirmation from General-four, and the officer stood to attention at the wall again.

"Madame, I was disoriented when the rescue team removed me from the scouter. Oxygen levels were critically low. I'm fine now."

General-four groaned into her lightscreen. "Don't think about getting back to work today, 251. Those Karinja could have killed you. Blasted insects. You need rest."

The itch of guilt began to crawl over Pelin's skin. Rest wasn't an option. She should have been helping the rescue team to retrieve 301 safely, swiftly. She should have been with her.

But, she found herself repeating a monotone "Yes, Madame."

General-four turned her lightscreen towards Pelin. "There is a rather silly diplomatic matter you can help with before you go." The dry text of an Alliance legal document flashed onto it. "One of the Nations will require an apology for... how can I put this?" She tapped at her chin. "Certain actions took place today that violated a local Nation's Cultural Edicts. A Nation with an absurd Edict that its citizens cannot touch or be touched, except by partners and family members."

Verdant Nation.

Pelin had no idea why the General was bothering with any attempt at anonymity. Verdant Nation was the only human colony that forbade touching except by family members. So, 301 was from Verdant Nation. Pelin had touched her, squeezed into the navigation seat with her as she lay dying, held her hand, brushed her hair from her face. Yet it was somehow a violation of an Edict.

"Madame, I sat with Agent 301 in the navigation seat. I apologise for putting the Alliance's servicemen and women at risk by my rash actions. I should have considered that my colleagues could be from colonies with Cultural Edicts."

"It's unfortunate, but it's done now." General-four tapped at the lightscreen, the document glowing and dimming with each edit. "Can you read and sign this apology from the Alliance to the Secretariat of the Nation in question?"

"Yes, Madame."

Pelin leaned over to the hovering square of the lightscreen, presenting her iris to the detector. A beep, and her iris-signature was added to a row of others.

The thought of growing up on Verdant Nation sent a shiver through Pelin. She couldn't imagine the agony of not touching Yildiz until partnership.

It occurred to Pelin that she needed to apologise to 301, not the Verdant Secretariat, for touching her. 301 would forgive her. She'd understand. They'd been in dire straits, after all. But the General hadn't mentioned that a personal apology to 301 was necessary. The realisation sent Pelin's heart hammering against her chest, as if it might burst.

If the General hadn't mentioned a personal apology, it was likely to be because one was no longer possible. 301 was gone.

Tears pricked at Pelin's eyes. "Madame, I apologise for-"