10. CANOPY

As the Professor would put into words, "We're here to train. All of us." After having their clandestine base destroyed by the enemy, Charles Xavier decided the safest place to relocate was his acres-wide mansion in the outlying area of Manchester, New York.

Charles was a professor but he's never had a real teaching experience before. He simply believe in what Galileo Galilei once quoted, 'You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself.' To train these incredibly gifted youngsters, Charles knew to use himself as a bridge, in order for them to cross and meet their true potentials.

Today was Colleen's training day. That morning, Charles started early only to see she was earlier. In her suite, she sat in a red velvet armchair reading her own thesis – not the first time. "You didn't sleep all night." Charles stated. He didn't have to read her thoughts. He can tell just by looking at the stack of books on the end table next to her.

Colleen closed her book and rose eagerly from her seat. "Shall we began?" She grinned playfully.

They headed to the garden that Colleen was passionate about since the beginning, where Moira was already waiting. She told Charles that she was here to observe his progress. Colleen wasn't the mind reader here, but she knew there was something more.

With her barefoot, Colleen stepped on the damp grasses. Wind blew mildly through her long dark hair and the vintage floral dress she was wearing. Her head tilted up as she exhaled the distinct scent of chlorophyll from the plants surrounding her.

"Let me show you a real challenge." Charles placed his hand around Colleen's shoulder, pointing out at the view of his spacious garden. Decorated with well-groomed bushes and colorful flowers rowing neatly on both sides of the brick pavement. "This mansion is surrounded by your source of power. Try if you can build a canopy over it." He dared.

"A canopy?" She repeated. There was doubt in her rising tone, "Over the mansion?"

She gazed into the distance. At the horizon line, where the dense growth of trees kissed the baby blue skies, creating a dynamic combination of a breath-taking sight.

Air filled her lungs like a charge of electricity. Making her appear square and broad. Every flower in the garden spontaneously bloomed into contrasting colors. It wasn't long until they withered into their original states.

Colleen choked on her breath. Panting, she gave in. "I can't, Charles. I've never done that before." She was wheezing. "I can't push them to their limits like that."

Charles's fingers rested on his head again, reading her thoughts before saying, "Were you just referring to the plants or yourself?" He knew her better than anyone in the mansion, hence the clear disappointment in his breath.

"If you're using half your concentration because you fear failure, they you're only half paying attention to what you're doing." Someone interrupted. It wasn't Charles, Moira or Colleen.

They all turned at Erik's sudden arrival. Who knows how long he's been standing there? Appearing discreetly like a ghost was almost like a hobby at this point.

"Erik," Charles warned to stop him. Erik somehow believed that intimidating a person can encourage them. Charles was, of course, against this.

"Just pointing out something that could save your life." His eyes were talking to Colleen exclusively. He knew she hates feeling inferior and losing motivates her. She wanted to say something, but Erik spoke to her more than just words.

Charles gave her a couple pat on her back as he said, "You and I are much the same. Our power comes from here." His finger pointed at the side of his head. "The garden of the world has no limits, except in your mind. You are your limit. Push that and you can achieve so much more than you think."

"Don't you think she needs a little more than just a push, Charles?" Erik and Charles argued like little boys.

Colleen looked in the eyes of her best friend, Charles. There was only faith in it. She puffed her chest once more. There was much more confidence in her expression this time.

She single-mindedly placed her heart in her surrounding. Blending in with nature. Her veins are beginning to flood with adrenaline, almost felt like it replaced her blood completely. The shrubs, bushes and trees around the mansion began to follow the upwards direction of her hands.

Charles and Moira were clapping, making astonished noises. Plant vines and tree branches powerfully crept towards the sky. Gradually, they formed over the mansion like a concrete dome.

Colleen successfully turned the garden into a rain forest. The mansion was confined under the thick, green canopy she created. She let out a proud laughter. Despite the satisfaction, the sudden rush left her feeling drained. Hands fell weakly on her sides. Knees were shaking.

Moira had to hold her to keep her on her feet, "That was amazing!" Moira exclaimed. Her smile always looked so inviting – no wonder the Professor is always drawn to her presence.

Charles agreed. He complimented, "Colleen, that was remarkable. I'm so proud of you." He said to Colleen but his eyes couldn't help but glance at Moira every few seconds.

"Thank you, Charles," Colleen grinned gleefully. She turned around to where Erik was standing. He didn't show it but he was deeply impressed.

Charles looked up at the ceiling of the plant canopy and every plant that outgrows the mansion. "Now you can redo all of this, can you?" He fold his arms.