11. CRISIS

Charles's mansion was a labyrinth covered in expensive wallpaper, glossy wooden floor and decorated with fancy paintings. It was late and Colleen had had a day. She can't wait to get to her bedroom at the end of this last hallway, but something made her stop.

She heard a faint cry coming from one of the bedrooms. The pain in it, the confusion that she heard — it brought her an image of her depressing past. She pushed the oak wood door open, only to see Raven wiping tears from the plump rosy cheeks. "Raven, what's wrong?" Colleen asked concernedly.

Raven's eyes jolted at her. When she looked down at Raven's arm, she was immediately alerted. Raven was holding a syringe, ready to inject her arm with an unknown green serum. "Raven, don't!" Yelled Colleen and rushed to grab the item away from her.

Colleen held the syringe in her hand while observing the substance briefly. "Hank gave you this, didn't he?" She confronted. The young blonde dropped her head down and Colleen noticed her teary eyes. "Why, Raven?" Asked Colleen who reached out to hold both her hands.

Tears ran down Raven's face like rain on a November. In that moment, it was clear already the resemblance between Raven and Colleen's younger self. Colleen was reminded of the lonely young girl who was terrified of herself that she once were.

"You're beautiful, Raven. Everything you are. You're perfect," Colleen gripped her hands tightly, "Look at what you have achieved this week and everything you will achieve."

Raven looked down at the floor, "If I can't be normal, maybe I can feel normal." She paused, trying to find the words to finish, "All my life I've been hiding. I'm just tired of feeling different."

Colleen's slender index finger landed under Raven's chin, tilting it up, "We are different, but we shouldn't be trying to fit into society. Society should aspire to be more like us."

Those final words struck Raven hard in her conscience. "Mutant and proud," Colleen stroked her face like she was her daughter. The potted lily on the coffee table flowered at her will. She picked the stem and presented it on Raven's open hands at the same time she turned into her natural blue form.

A sincere smile bloomed upon her stunning blue face, but she remained speechless and motionless. She held the lily still while carefully observing the flower and then the distinctive marks on her hand. It was obvious how different she felt in this new form, but Colleen reminded her it is the exquisite beauty that she has. She hoped one day Raven will see that for herself.

"Anyways, it's getting late." Colleen yawned. "I should be getting into bed. You should too, sweetheart." She pulled Raven lovingly, into a warm hug. She couldn't imagine having another 'Raven' as her best friend. Then, she ambled towards the door.

Raven understood now why Colleen didn't want her to hide, because she simply didn't have to. She watched her go with teary eyes that seemed to thank her somehow. "Colleen?" They both paused. "Thank you," said Raven.

It made Colleen smile. "If you need me, I'm just next door." The door was shut. Before Colleen could even walk away, she had to collect herself and hold back her tears from comforting Raven. Now, she just hopes that Raven will finally find love for herself.

CHLORISOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara