Crossed Wires

Demelza and Ross rode into work in silence, Demelza was wondering what was wrong, first he was upset because she was taking to long in the shower then he was upset because of her outfit. What next, she thought back to the early time of her marriage. If she didn't know for sure that Elizabeth was no longer in his life she would swear, she was still in their lives. She thought but we know she is locked up; you are imagining things. He has told you he loves you, proven it even. Maybe it was time for her to make the career change. What was it last night with the money they were both making at Cornmare they could get along fine? What if she chose modeling would he still be supportive? What if she wanted to go in a completely different direction? She thought if I could do anything in the world what would I want to be. She thought through various careers and came back with photography. She loved taking pictures of nature and of Jeremy what if she would get a camera and see if she were good enough.

Ross sat on the other side of the car, going over things for the meeting, his mind went back to Demelza, why wouldn't she tell him if she were with child? Could it be that she just wanted deserts yesterday? No Demelza was too much of a health nut to do that. If she ate deserts, it was usually a small piece. He could eat sweets constantly. Could it be early, and she doesn't realize she is pregnant? He wasn't sure what her motive was but if she came home exhausted after the next modeling session, he would insist she quit. He could not afford to lose her at Cornmare. So, it would have to be modeling.

Then his mind switched to Elizabeth, he would get a letter out to her today. Telling her how happy Demelza and he was, and their son Jeremy. Then Ross thought, will she appreciate that type of letter or would it give her hope they could be together as they were in the past. No, he would write telling her of the happening ins the area, with his parents, wife and especially his son. He would offer the hand of friendship, after all from what he understood most of their friends had abandoned her for what she had done. Forgive and forget.

They reached the office, Demelza went to hers and Ross to his, still not saying anything to each other. Caroline and Verity came into Demelza sat at the other side of the desk. "We have decided," Caroline said, "that we," pointing Demelza, Verity and herself, "deserve a holiday." Demelza said, "I am not sure, there is so much to do here." Verity said, "let Ross do some of the work sometime." Demelza laughed and said, "Ross does plenty of work." Verity pouted, "yes, but I really want to go on a holiday," Demelza said "and what about Jeremy?" Caroline said, "bring him with, he will brighten our days." "I don't know," Demelza said, "can I think about it?" Caroline smiled, "okay but not to long, I want to make plans."

Meanwhile Ross was writing a letter to Elizabeth,

Elizabeth,

It was nice to hear from you, hopefully you are getting better. I do forgive you for what has happened in the past. I will always be your friend.

My life is going forward. Demelza and I had a beautiful, brilliant baby boy. He means the world to me, and I cannot imagine life without him. We have moved into Nampara with father and mother that is a story in itself.

We also will be starting therapy hopefully to get over some issues that was caused by Claude's death. The issue of you, and I will probably be brought up by Demelza. If it makes our relationship stronger it can't hurt.

Demelza is still modeling, yesterday I had Jeremy, that is our son, with me at the office, then when we got home before Demelza, I changed and got Jeremy ready for bed. Imagine me changing clothes, diapers, and feedings. Don't get me wrong I love spending time with that boy but diapers I can do without! Only dad did tell me I put the diaper on too loose and he would soak the bed. Well, he did, he soaked the bed, I told him not to tell grandpa because father would never let me live it down. That little boy is everything I ever wished for.