May Promise to You

Ross said, "that letter should be the end of it. Demelza thought to herself sure it is. Ross pulled Demelza in for a hug, he smooth her wild Curls that fall on the side of her face behind her ears. I am sorry my love. I know you are cautious about my emotions for Elizabeth. I can tell you and truly mean she means nothing to me. When I was at the alyssum, she was still telling me she wanted to be together. I let her know that would never happen. She had the board thinking that she would have me telling them that I forgave her and wanted to start a relationship. Imagine their surprise when I told them that was the last thing I wanted. Especially since she was deluding herself into thinking I still wanted her. When I left, she had to be restrained that's how unhinged she was, the doctor told me to not write back to her again and to cut all ties. As I told him I was planning on doing it anyway, I didn't tell him I was going to do it for you. I realized seeing her that she would try to hurt you or our son and that is a risk I will not take for anything.

They had started to walk toward the beach, Demelza said, "Ross I can't go through the torture that the beginning of our marriage was, you say you have since that first night that you knew you needed me. The way you treated me; it was horrible." Ross said, "I felt like I was betraying a promise I made to Elizabeth, which she always reminded me of. That I would always love her." Demelza stopped, "Do you still love her?" Ross grabbed her arm, "I have never felt for her like I do you. You have shown me what real love is. She was/is beautiful, but she doesn't have a soul. I know now that she was never my real long-lasting love. You, my love, hold that title, now and forever." He brought up her hand and kissed her knuckles. Demelza said, "what about the promise, will she still be able to put you back in?" Ross said, "No my love she will not. The only promise I hold is the one made to you and Jeremy. I promise you I will get therapy to help with my anger, my recklessness, and my callous disregard for you. Forgive me my love forever making you doubt my love.

Demelza looked at the ocean, "I don't know if it is that easy. I can forgive Ross, but I don't think I can forget. This is the second time you have treated me as if I were a piece of dirt on your shoe. Do you know how that feels? You said, you thought I was with child, was that your way of trying to make me lose it? The stress this time was worse than the last, do you not want more children? Why would you treat someone you profess to love that way especially when you believed they were carrying your child?" Ross felt as though someone had gut-punched him. That was not what he intended at all. He knew stress could cause a miscarriage. Why would he inflict that on his wife? He had stopped walking and shook his head. "Demelza my love I was just upset that you would not have told me. I would love nothing more than to have more babies with you."

They walked until they turned up to the Swale Church Graveyard. Then headed toward Nampara. Ross said I did get a little work done on the family tree but just our branch. He said I will share with you what I have if you are interested?" Demelza stumbled, and Ross caught her in his arms. My Love, are you alright?" She said, "I am a little tired it has been a hard week, and coming home, I am still a little jet lagged. He said, "Well then let us get you home where you can take a nap. If my mother and dad want to lay down, I'll keep Jeremy with me." Demelza said, "he is harder to manage now he wants to be on the go constantly.

When they got home Francis was there, he greeted first Ross then Demelza. The rumors that Demelza has left you have been misconstrued. Ross, I need to ask you a huge favor?" Ross raised an eyebrow. "Margaret Vospar, I know you warned me, but she is becoming a true nuisance she is insinuating that I take her for my wife." Demelza said, "have you slept with her?" Francis nodded his head looking sheepishly at Ross, "yes," Ross swore, "she has grounds sexual harassment charge against the company you fool." Francis did not like being reprimanded by Ross. Yeah, not all of want to marry our secretaries to keep from having that happen. Demelza said, "excuse me," and went into the house. Ross said, "that will be the last time you make any remarks like that to my wife. If I remember correctly, your first wife was your secretary also!" Francis said, "I am sorry I should not have said that in front of her." Ross spoke quietly saying, "don't tell me tell her. We are trying to regain footing from my careless words and your ex-wife's attempts to be friends with me again." Francis said, Elizabeth has contacted you and you responded, I am sorry, but I am not the only fool." Ross said, "I have to agree, I only hope my wife will forgive me. Have you spoken to Verity maybe she can give you some advice on how to get out of this?" Francis shook his head no. We don't talk that much since she moved in with Andrew." Come on maybe Father will know how to spin this," Ross said?"